Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
By sloaner
My buddy at work thinks it will be better to cut the top out of his foam pumpkin because it will look better. I personally don't think it will work because of how thin the walls of the kin are. Has anyone here cut the top off?
By badgers
I've never cut the top on a foamie, always cut the bottom out and threw it away. But I suppose if you cut the top you'd have to make the cut at an angle, that way you could possibly put the top back on after putting a light inside.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I've seen plenty of people cut a hole in the top (maybe because that's the tradition). Personally, I prefer to cut off the bottom to keep the top looking clean. Depends on the look you like better.

By CorpseBride
I used to be a fan of cutting to top out. It was the tradition part I suppose or perhaps just "what I had always done." But now after LOSING some of my lids for my foamies I am converting to a bottom cutter. I wish I would have sooner, I really like the clean look and it saves turning the lid around a bunch of times to line up your marks. :lol:
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Good reasoning, CB. I didn't even think about the "losing the lid" factor. Yeah, I say bottom cut.
By monstermash
Im thinking of cutting the bottoms off this year. Ive always been a top cutter but your points about the top looking neater have tempted me. Also I imagine cutting the bottoms will make pumpkin more stable for display. Theres nothing worse then seeing your lovely carved kin toppling off the table.
By keifferone
I try not to cut the top or bottom if I don't have too ( I use plug in lighting so I cut a small hole in the back). But when I have to I do cut the top.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I'm a staunch bottom cutter for foam pumpkins, and a firm top cutter for real pumpkins. You cannot sway me otherwise. 8)
By badgers
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:I'm a staunch bottom cutter for foam pumpkins, and a firm top cutter for real pumpkins. You cannot sway me otherwise. 8)
DITTO!!! :D 8)
By SuperSonic
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:I'm a staunch bottom cutter for foam pumpkins, and a firm top cutter for real pumpkins. You cannot sway me otherwise. 8)
Who wouldn't think that way :)
By CorpseBride
Agreed. I will never cut a real pumpkin from the bottom. No. No No.
By Trevler
I cut the top, because I like to carry lit pumpkins around with me, and you just can't do that with a bottom cut.
By Batgirl
So am I the only person that doesn't cut the top OR the bottom on the foam 'kins but puts glow sticks/led tea lights into the carved out holes created by the pattern?

I mean, I know I'm weird, but I can't be THAT weird... :|