Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
By Trevler
This year Target is carrying foam pumpkins in 2 sizes, both similar to the Michael's pumpkins. The small one is six dollars, and seems to be a little more squat in shape then its Michael's counter part. The larger one is 10 dollars. They are a brigher shade of orange, and have a longer, curved green stem.

Unfortunatly, they have the 'ribs' that this year's micheal's pumpkins have.

Here are a couple of pictures of the 'Thing' pumpkin I made. This was done using a hot knife tool.

By sloaner
Great work. Are these pumpkins comparable is size to michael's?
By Trevler
The larger ones are. The smaller ones are close, but they are more 'squat' in shape, so I think the carving surface is smaller. I've only bought the larger ones because I don't like the shape of the small ones.

Oh! They also come in black.
By pagemaster1993
It looks like every one is getting in on selling funkins. First the three major craft stores: Micheal's, A.C. Moore, and Jo Anne's. Now we have Target. What is next? Wal-Mart, or your local grocery store.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Carvable pumpkins at Target? Hmm, I'll have to go investigate! From the looks of it, they work well with a hot knife method. Thanks for the report Trevler!
By staticfurball
Man!! :x I cant even check these ones out. we dont hav etarget here and Micheals is almost a whole province away. I cant seem to find any store with these in Montreal.
By GUS
man we are miffed, if only foam pumpkins were a province away, you don't know how glum it makes us over here,

In the UK, No Foamies, little or no Saral, very few proper halloween decorations to choose from! no proper pumpkin lights ...you are actually pretty lucky I assure you!

:shock:
By maegnus
Looks like you need a brighter light than that artificial tea light. I used to double them up for years in my michaels kins, but it was still not very bright and they died frequently (not to mention the high cost for the better quality variety). Most of our TOTs walked right passed them and hardly noticed all the hard work I put into carving them.

I found a solution last year that worked incredibly well. We built a shelf out of cheap wood, painted it black, and then stapled a string of large white incandescent christmas lights to the shelves. I tried the large LED bulbs first, but they had the same dull light problem, and I realized that the old incandescent kind didn't get anywhere near hot enough to threaten the kins.

We spaced out the bulbs about as far as a foam kin with the sockets pointed up. We then removed the bulbs from the sockets that wouldn't have a pumpkin placed on them and duct taped over them. Then we drilled a hole in the bottom of each foam kin the size of the socket. This way, you screw the bulb in after you place the pumpkin on top and the bulb holds the pumpkin in place.

The end result was beautifully bright pumpkins. They finally got noticed this year. You could make out the patterns from the street!

^ A blurry picture, but you get the idea.
By staticfurball
Well our provinces are pretty large so I guess ill hav to suck it up and pay shipping fees lol.
Last edited by staticfurball on Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By sloaner
Finally someone with a crazy amount of foam pumpkins just like me :D. Nice display and I am glad to see some of the patterns look so good on the smaller pumpkins. I might pick some of those up and try them out.
By St0ney
Wow I missed this thread and posted about these target pumpkins today.

I didn't buy them too Narrow !

And with Micheals being 50% off and I still have to remove lines.

I'll stick it out for the rest of the season.

Lets Hope for Next YEAR !!!
By Trevler
You're right about the tea lights, at least for photography purposes.
I'm actually using an LED push light now for photos, and its working out much better.

However, my foamies (and I have about 26 or 27 now) are used as part of an indoor display during my After Halloween Halloween party. The room I have them in is lit entirely with black light so the led tea lights are perfect for lighting them without bleeding too much light and messing with the UV goodness.
By maegnus
Trevler wrote:the led tea lights are perfect for lighting them without bleeding too much light and messing with the UV goodness.
Makes sense. Any sort of light pollution (especially incandescent) kills blacklight effects.
By snow2alike
OK -- for those of you who want to know all about the "TARGET" foam pumpkin.

1. first off you notice the color --lighter orange but not that glow orange of a few years back.

2. The tag says 13 inch -- but really 2 inches of that is stem. The stem is longer and a light green, Not bad looking.

3. Carving it is the same as a Michael's Gemmy --- I see no difference at all. I used the pro carving saw, a hot knife and a dremel. No problems with any of these,

4. It seems to be just a bit thicker but not in excess. There was one area that was very thin on the bottom left of the side I carved. It did not present any carving problems.

5. All the lines--- "the grid"--- are still there just like this year's Gemmy. No difference.

6. 2 sizes 10 inch ($6) and a 13 inch ($10).
Colors : solid black and the orange with green stem.
Availability --- I only saw 6 other orange 13 inch kins. That's not saying that they brought more in from the back to keep up the display.

7. Cost ::::::: Michaels $22 (with 50% off $11) :::::::Target $10 Reg.

Personally, I don't have a problem using the Target pumpkin. I rather like it !!!!!
By keifferone
I just carved the Darth maul on the black target pumpkin and it doesn't seem to be made out of the same material. You can't go wrong on the price and it really isn't to bad to work with. Of course it may be my tips going to. By the way Ryan that Darth Maul pattern was the hardest one I have done yet. :shock: GOOD JOB!