Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
Hey Ryan,

I was wondering if it were possible for in the tips section (for those who want to carve foamies), if there could be a video demonstration. I want to carve some foamies next year and don't really know how to use it.
By punchi
It's really easy! It's basically a super hot xacto knife. Once you get one and put it in the foamy, you'll see. Just use a slight up and down motion. You don't want to go down too far or the top of the blade will melt in the pumpkin. It takes a minute to get the hang of, but it is a must have for the Michael's kins. No good on the Funkins though.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
punchi's tips are spot on. It's not too hard, once you get going you get the hang of it. I'll consider adding tips and maybe a video eventually, though.
I have no experience with the Vers Tool, but everyones descriptions seem to make it sound very similar to a modified wood burner, or soldering iron... Would that be an fair assumption? I would be curious to try it to see if i liked it better than my dremel and carving bits.
I'm pretty sure the Versa-Tool is a wood burning tool of sorts. That's one of it's many versatile uses, at least, with the appropriate tip on the end. I've never used it for that purpose though, I've only ever used the blade attachment (looks like an x-acto blade).

So you could hold it similar to a wood burning tool or a soldering iron... like gripping a pencil. Although, to be honest, I often grip the Versa tool in my fist, with blade pointing down (think stabbing pose). This gives me a very firm grip on the handle, allowing me to push steadily through the foam. Although, it's not like the foam gives much resistance, especially if the blade is sharp and warmed up all the way.

Also, it's worth reminding... I recommend this versa tool for the "gemmy" pumpkins sold at Michaels, which have a pretty thin shell. Don't think it would work on the type of foam used on Funkins brand.