Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
Hi all.
I'm new to the Board, and have a question. I want to carve more pumpkins and want to try to do the 'shaving" or "etching" or whatever you call it when you don't cut all the way through and just remove the skin. It looks so cool! Anyway, I was going to buy a VersaTool, but I don't see anyone talking about how that tool can be used for doing this. Can any of you experienced foam carvers tell me how to do this effectively? If I have to spend the extra for a dremel vs a versa tool, I will do so, I just want to make sure that if I spend the money, I purchase the right equipment! Thank you kindly!!!
By Doh
Welcome! I cannot imagine trying to shade a foam kin with a versa tool. Dremel with diamond bits is the way to go.
By Pumpken
I don't think you can use the versatool for shading. Isn't that the one that heats up. It is OK for cutting straight line cutthroughs, but I have a hard time controlling it.

In my opinion, the dremel is the only way to go for shading foam pumpkins. You will want to get the flexible shaft and foot controller if you plan to do very much carving with it.
By sloaner
I dont do the shaded ones but if I did I would use a dremel. For cutouts its VERSA all the way baby.