Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
By Drayco
St0ney wrote:This is a new style of carving. and the credit goes to the carver "Starvin'Carvin" who took a chance tried something new, and created an eye popper of a carve.

The reason the carve came out the way it did,
besides him being an expert carver.
(the photo speaks on his carving ability)

The entire carving is 100% shaded. (not one shape cut-out)
What he did was for the cut-out sections on the pattern, he shaded deeper. than the shaded area's on the pattern.
Off topic:
That's a stunning carve, congrats to StarvinCarvin!

But it's not a new style of carving. It's just one that very few people such as Vegasbaby and Pumpkinking_77 have the skill to carved it that way on a gemmy pumpkin. I'm guessing it's a carving technique similar to relief carving.

I own a Vegasbaby pumpkin and it looks exactly like what you described. 100% shaded with different depths of shading to allow more or less light through the carving.

Either way it takes a hell of a carver to do it that way and StarvingCarvin is now one of the very few that can.
By CorpseBride
Drayco wrote: But it's not a new style of carving. It's just one that very few people such as Vegasbaby and Pumpkinking_77 have the skill to carved it that way on a gemmy pumpkin. I'm guessing it's a carving technique similar to relief carving.

I own a Vegasbaby pumpkin and it looks exactly like what you described. 100% shaded with different depths of shading to allow more or less light through the carving.

Either way it takes a hell of a carver to do it that way and StarvingCarvin is now one of the very few that can.
Wow....just wow. Those are some beautiful pumpkins. I think I know what I want for my birthday! lol
By St0ney
Agree:

I guess style was the wrong term to use.

Vegasbaby & Pumpkinking_77 Do more than 3 tones
More Like 5 to 8. (or More) ??

This is the first time I've Seen a "3 Tone" Carved this way (on a Gemmy). I've Seen 3 Tone carved on a real pumpkin, But the cut out's were shaved the same depth of the actually shaded area's on the pattern.

I've Also seen (3) Tone Were Black Paint or Marker is Used for the 3rd tone. And these are also Stunning to See.

This is Completely Shaved and Painted:
This person Used the Black to also add on the shaved area for yet other tones.

Just Showing:
There's a Lot of different Options in carving a pumpkin. :D
By hkzombie
Ok.. so I never considered of getting a foamie before. Are they hollow to a certain width or are they completely in foam? Also, what are some benefits to carving a foamie before the real ones start appearing?

All this talking of Michael's makes me want to go after work and let my eyes have a feast of this! :P
By St0ney
They are Hollow inside.

The main benefit is they Last forever, - No Rotting, no fungus.

they can be carved all year long,
they can be given as a gift, to others.
they can go in your Halloween display year after year.. etc...

I also like carving real kins too :wink:
By St0ney
Okay We Have GOOD News,

We have a Walkaround to the Paint Issue.

I Just Tried Doh's X-acto Technique on a Shaded Pattern.

What you Do is you Score the shapes with an X-acto First.
Then Cut out with a dremel.

The Paint Does not Ripple if you score first.

Because this is a shaded pattern, I had to score BOTH
Cut and shaded Shapes.

Now I'm sure those that Use a Hot-Knife or Just an X-acto to Cut out the Pattern will be fine with no scoring.

But if you use a Dremel - Then Score first with the X-acto.

This of Course will add More time to the Over all Carve.
But well worth it.

We Still need to get them to fix the Paint.
For us where time is limited.

I used Doh's Technique on this Carve.

The Paint is Fine - this was taken Last night, and did not do the final clean up of Lines yet , need to wait until it's dry.

, Which I always did even with the Old Gemmy's.

So the Credit for the Fix goes to Doh !
By GUS
GUS wrote:Not that i've ever carved another type of foamy, however possibility / limiting paint flake is why I go round each patttern with an exacto to initially reduce flake chances when sawing, it adds alot of time (probably doubles carve time) however it's my approach..
Yup! way too much time but saves anguish! I actually tend to score the xacto way & then cut through all the way round before I even get the saw out.

Glad it's sorted though, have you added your 2 cents worth to their customer service in case they think alls well & folk love taking 3 times as long?
By St0ney
Sorry GUS I missed that !

But - Glad I tried it :wink:

I'm really limited on carving time,
For this Pattern it added 3 hours to the carving time - took 5 hours.

if the paint was fine - I could knock it out in 2.

But for folks that do Cut-Outs - My guess is a 1/2 to an Hour
depending on the pattern - added to the carve time.

But Well worth the Extra Time.

No Paint Issue
and Clean Lines .
By GUS
What sort of picking do you have to do now in orde to get it to raise & tear though stoney/
My concern now would be lifting over time, any spray sealant along the edges (even hair laquer)? as a stabilizer.
By St0ney
GUS wrote:What sort of picking do you have to do now in orde to get it to raise & tear though stoney
Not sure I understand your question ?

Picking threw me Off - You Brits with your funny little words - LOL
Kidding :wink:

I did get the bottom of your post (if picking is part of that)

I guess you could spray a Clear coat on it,
And would use a Product that is made for that.

Like KRYLON Crystal Clear.
By GUS
No, I wrote that in a cruddy manner (sorry) was sorting a large invoice & courier on ebay for a customer.
You read t fine, as it was "in essence" meant to be.
I'm curious as to rubbed /grazed/ picked at with fingers edges? or if it doesn't lift is it bonded well at the edges?
you know how people are, curiosity. puttintheir kns in tight boxes so sides rub! ...sort of thing, which is why i'm still "wary" of the peel.
Sorry it's the (ex) production manager in me!
By St0ney
Ha no problem ! - I was just Joshing you, my good man.

All I can Say is, so far so good.

When I pull these things out of the sink to remove the pattern.

I actually use a "Soft" Nylon Bristle Brush, I don't Scrub Hard.

And I do go over the entire carved area,
and so far the paint has stayed Put and keeping clean lines.
By GUS
excellent then, bodes well for the future, you best leave one out & test bench it though, sunlight, temps etc.

God i'm anal. :lol:
Night all.

Packing to do.