Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
By Buzzardchik
I've done 20 Michaels pumpkins so far this season. What is the black line you all talk about? I don't see one, even when I light it. Maybe I'm just blind. 8)
By badgers
I haven't seen it on any Michaels's pumpkins but if you look inside you can see the thick line that goes around the inside. Infact there are two. Both go completely around the pumpkin, one goes from top to bottom and back to the top, the other is in the middle of the pumpkin and goes completely around --- it's most noticable to me when carving, with either the versa tool or carving saws, it always takes a little more time or effort in the center part of the pumpkin being carved cause it's thicker.

I have seen the black line on some foam kins I got at A.C. Moore a few years back and used a little 5 watt (christmas type) C-9 craft bulb.

But have yet to notice any black line when using Howler lights or Kmart?Walmart type pumpkin lights.
By mudd
the black line is that dark horizontal shadow you see on the big ones. the $20 ones. the brighter the light the more noticeable it is, and it also depends on the pattern if theres a lot of cut out in the area or not.
By badgers
mudd wrote:the black line is that dark horizontal shadow you see on the big ones. the $20 ones. the brighter the light the more noticeable it is, and it also depends on the pattern if theres a lot of cut out in the area or not.
Yep, I buy the $20 ones all the time, but with the patterns I've carved and the lighting I use (Howler lights and the color changing kmart & walmart brands) it's not noticeable -- to me anyway, but with a brighter light source you would see it.
By cyberdman
Typically, for the most part, this effect is really only noticeable on shaded type carvings.