Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
By punchi
Patch Master! You posted a video on Facebook of the new Bride of Frankenstein pattern. You had a fancy schmancy hot knife blade and I need some! Where can I find this magical item?
Sincerely,
Minion Ashley
By Zombie Pumpkins!
We talked about this on Facebook, but for the sake of public education...

The tool I use to cut most foam pumpkins is the Walnut Hollow Creative Versa Tool (available in craft stores and on Amazon). It's technically a wood burning tool, but it has interchangeable tips. I'm using the tip that's like an X-Acto blade.

But I've modified the blade to make it more narrow and pointy. I did this by using a sanding/grinding drum attachment on a Dremel, to grind the blade to a thin point. Then I sharpened it with a knife sharpener.

The pointy blade allows for easier cutting of small details like eyes and teeth. I know everyone can't easily modify their tools like this, so I'm playing with the idea of mass producing such a product someday.

Would anyone be interested in a Zombie Pumpkins brand heat knife, for use with foam pumpkins?
By portercat
I already modify exacto blades the same way for carving without heat, but I grind away the back of the blade. That way you do not have make a new cutting edge. I would go for Zombie Pumpkins hot knife.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Portercat, that makes too much sense. :grin: Grinding the back edge so you don’t have to sharpen a new cutting edge. Now I feel dumb for not thinking of that myself!
By Zombie Pumpkins!
driver8vw wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:04 pm
What heat setting do you use?
With my Walnut Hollow Creative Versa Tool, I usually turn the heat all the way up to max. I just assume hotter means easier cutting right? And indeed, it melts the foam and cuts like butter. But I would just advise that you keep the blade moving. At high heat, it's more likely to start burning the foam if you stop. If you ever notice discoloration of the foam or see fumes rising, you may want to turn the heat down or make sure you pull the blade out when it's not moving.
driver8vw liked this
By shaft28
Hands down, I would buy this. I use a hot knife but the custom blades would be a game changer for me.