Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
Note: This works extremely well for foam pumpkins! And it is much much quicker than the poke method!

Materials:

Tracing paper (really cheap to buy)
Scissors
Tape
Pattern
Pencil

Steps

1: Cut tracing paper to the same size as your stencil
2: Tape tracing paper (black side facing pumpkin) to your pumpkin
3: Tape stencil overtop of the tracing paper
4: Using a pencil draw over the entire stencil
5: Remove all paper
6: Cut away my carving friend!

If you are tired of the poke method you should really try this! It is super quick!
By gregh3196
That sounds so much faster. I am going to carve one of my michaels pumpkins tomorrow, i will have to try that :)
By twinz3950
i put my pattens on with glue. I just put glue all over the area where i want my pattern and place it on. Let the glue dry and carve thru the pattern. After your done just Use a damp rag and wipe what is left off.
By Kittie
Does this idea work on Real pumpkins?
By twinz3950
i have used this on real pumpkins but if the pattern has a lot of cuts the juices from the pumpkin can become a problem. I would really only try it on fake pumpkins.
By CorpseBride
For real pumpkins I do it in pencil first. Then I use a fine tipped permanent marker and go over all the "rubbings." It works really well! Just one tip....make sure you trace a little bit inside of the stencil so you can carve away any marker on your pumpkin.
By 2manyferrets
I like to glue the patterns on the fake pumpkins and use fabric transfer paper on real pumpkins. :lol:
By CanadianCarver
Where do you buy tracing paper? What type of store carries this?

Thanks,
Dustin
By 2manyferrets
For real pumpkins, I use fabric transfer paper that I buy at a craft store. Joann's, Michales, ect...
By Tkaraoke
What's the difference between the fabric transfer paper and just the normal paper you would get out of the printer?
By CorpseBride
CanadianCarver wrote:Where do you buy tracing paper? What type of store carries this?
Any art or craft store will carry transfer tracing paper. And it is usually very cheap! I get BIG bundles of it that last me atleast 2 years....and I use it ALOT. The paper can be used over and over and over again.

The stuff I use looks just like the paper you see in those reciepts where you hand write everything in. It is a brownish color on one side and pure black on the other.

As for the fabric transfer paper, I am not too familiar with that. I have tried it before and have found this method more effective.
By emilymegan
So, let me get this straight -- fabric tracing paper is what I need?

I bought the regular carbon paper (like the stuff found inside receipt books) only in 8x11 sheets. It seems like a wonderful idea, but when I traced my pattern, it did not go through to the pumpkin.

Is anyone else using reglar carbon tracing paper (I got mine at Staples) ?

And, is FABRIC tracing paper what I should be using??
By CorpseBride
I use carbon paper and it works awesome! Maybe the stuff you are getting is not quite strong enough. Art stores carry better quality carbon paper meant for things like this. Staples would probably just have office type carbon paper that just barely shows through even when using pen.

I don't know if that helped at all...but...trust me...it REALLY works!
By emilymegan
Ok, so, I see you're in Saskatchewan......where did you get your carbon paper? I'm totally willing to ditch what I have and go get some stuff that works !!

Hopefully we'll have the same kind of store here in NB....... :)
By CorpseBride
Usually Michaels, but any little art store will do. Like Colors, or Art Confidential....not sure if you have those...but...good luck!