Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
By mesmark
reignman40 wrote:Also how do you guys attach the patterns to these. I normally just use thumb tacks on the regular pumpkins and then poke holes for my cutting lines. Any advice?
Curtis - I just carved my 3rd and 4th Michael's foamkins.

I just tape the patern to the flattest side. I crease the paper to get the pattern as flat as possible and then just cut straight through the stencil/paper.

For some spots I have to tape the stencil after I cut it so it doesn't shift, but it has worked well for me for 4 foamkins. I'm going to continue to do the same for the last 2.
By El Mateo
I ruined many a pumpkin using pencils and pens. Now, I solely just use a push pin, and punch a crapload of holes. It's makes it easier to cut, and there's no errant pen marks.

It winds up looking a little hairy, especially on some of the more ornate carving, but I keep the pattern handy to help me do the pattern. There's always one part in every pumpkin that I carve that I'll slightly change, whether it be for aesthetic reasons or to maintain structure integrity. (Those are big words)
By 2manyferrets
Elmers glue works wonders! Just glue it on and carve! :lol:
By Lkrough2
For transferring the pattern I use carbon tracing paper, like what you used to make copies on from school, they sell it @ Michael's. And stray marks come right off with a pencil eraser and only very light pressure, or even just a damp paper towel.
By ZPjames
How much do the foam pumpkins cost at Michael's?
By SaneInsideInsanity
Calypsa304 wrote:
filmczy wrote:I use the pumpkins from Michael's also and was wondering if anyone had a quick way of removing ball-point pen marks used for drawing the pattern. I've tried "Goo Gone" but it doesn't help.
You might want to try the Mr. Clean magic sponges. They pretty much work on anything, I wouldn't be surprised if it worked on the michael's pumpkin.
I hope it works!
Personally if the rest didn't work i would just get a can of orange spray paint and give the pumpkin a light coat all over....that's just me though, i've done it to real ones and it works well....

How is shading on funkins does it work the same?
By CombichristGirl
SaneInsideInsanity wrote:
Calypsa304 wrote:
filmczy wrote:I use the pumpkins from Michael's also and was wondering if anyone had a quick way of removing ball-point pen marks used for drawing the pattern. I've tried "Goo Gone" but it doesn't help.
You might want to try the Mr. Clean magic sponges. They pretty much work on anything, I wouldn't be surprised if it worked on the michael's pumpkin.
I hope it works!
Personally if the rest didn't work i would just get a can of orange spray paint and give the pumpkin a light coat all over....that's just me though, i've done it to real ones and it works well....

How is shading on funkins does it work the same?
omg i think personaly its easier to do real pumpkin. i just did a shading funkin for the first time like with layers its a pain and still isnt right totaly but im ok with it lol. i'lll post a pic in a little bit but thats just my two cents
By SaneInsideInsanity
I do enjoy the real ones, never tried a funkin period, to paranoid...and if you say shading is no good on them I shall take your word for it and stick ti real i just wished they would last longer.
By sloaner
How much does one of those versa tools cost
By sloaner
Ok im gunna get one tomorrow, I figure Im going to do about 6 foam ones and 1 or 2 real ones this year.
By sloaner
Oh ya the foam kins at michaels are down to 10 or 11 bucks in my town so Im guessing they will be all over.
By sloaner
I got that versa tool today and it rocks! It carves the pumpkin on its own and keeps every cut clean, like butter baby!