Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
By gregh3196
Dont know who all has a Michaels near them but this week all craft pumpkins are 50% off. I picked up 4 today and will probably get more, now i just have to get my carving arm in shape :) Just thought i would let everyone know.
By toall_hello
OOOOHHHHH Thanks for the update!

I cant wait to get my pumpkins for half off
By heeljeff
Ouch! I had no idea foam pumpkins could be so expensive. This is my first so I hope I don't have any huge mistakes. As of last night Michaels had pumpkins for 40% off, and the Versa tool was 50% off.
By MoJo
After reading all these posts about foam pumpkins and Michael's. I went and bought a couple and some new Exacto blades and tried my luck at it. Got good results on a Werewolf:
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa12 ... rewolf.jpg

It takes a lot of patience and a sharp blade. The good thing is they will last a long time. I still plan to do real pumpkins. You can do much more intricate patterns with them.
By belli
MoJo wrote:After reading all these posts about foam pumpkins and Michael's. I went and bought a couple and some new Exacto blades and tried my luck at it. Got good results on a Werewolf:
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa12 ... rewolf.jpg

It takes a lot of patience and a sharp blade. The good thing is they will last a long time. I still plan to do real pumpkins. You can do much more intricate patterns with them.
Really cool looking werewolf!! Did you use one of the versa tools with exacto attachment that heats up or just regular exacto blades? I used the versa tool to carve my very first Michael's pumpkins this year and having the heated blade makes it so much easier to cut through foam. You do have to be patient allowing the blade to cut through the foam but it's worth it. I've carved 3 Michael's brand ones so far and the blade that came with the tool is still sharp. I bought a couple of replacement blades just in case but it's holding up pretty well. I think some of the other foam carvers here use the versa tool then clean up some of the edges and curves with their regular exacto blades.

Also, went to Michael's today and their pumpkins are 50% off again.
By El Mateo
I STRONGLY recommend the heated blade... not that it matters to anyone in particular.
By GUS
all this talk of dremel's & heated blades really makes mre realize that I'm in the dark ages stuck on this island! :? (bah)

..that's right you lot enjoy yourselves whilst i struggle along with a blunt blade & crappy tape! :lol:
By El Mateo
Wait until there's a 50% coupon for Michaels, and then buy the Versa-Blade. 15 bucks is a pretty good deal...