Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I was at Michael's yesterday and can confirm that the Versa Tools (and Hot Marks, which are pretty much the same thing) are 50% off. That's $14.99 instead of the regular $29.99. According to the sale tag I saw, this special price is effective through September 22.

I also picked up a Michael's pumpkin (also 50% off!), which I plan to try this Versa Tool on. I have some uncarved Funkins laying around, but I wasn't sure if this heated blade tool would work on them because the Funkin surface is likely thicker than the length of the blade that comes with this tool.
By GUS
ryan, if they're that good perhaps you ought to scoop a few up for us poor brits & pop em in the store! ,...while they're on a deal that is!
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Hmmmm, that's a thought. I've usually geared my stuff towards real pumpkin carving, where a Versa Tool wouldn't be of much use. But the passion for carving is strong, which explains the increased interest in artificial pumpkins.

I may look into it for next season. But I still have to give this tool a test run this year. Haven't used mine yet. But I'm planning to carve my Frankenstein and Dracula patterns into foam 'kins, so those will be my chance. I figure those classic characters are ones that I won't mind having around for years to come.
By GUS
zombiepumpkins wrote:Hmmmm, that's a thought. I've usually geared my stuff towards real pumpkin carving, where a Versa Tool wouldn't be of much use. But the passion for carving is strong

close your eyes & say that again Yoda!

Ryan, I'd love to see the most popular blades kept in the sickening store, it'd be so nice to have a supply of new blades to hand rather than the exorbitant cra* I have to buy at my local garden centre!!!!

...right now although i've got about 30 blades I only use 2 types, so to have a dozen or so of each would really be helpful with carving.
(and they don't take up space in terms of stock)!
By GUS
zombiepumpkins wrote:Hmmmm, that's a thought. I've usually geared my stuff towards real pumpkin carving, where a Versa Tool wouldn't be of much use. But the passion for carving is strong, which explains the increased interest in artificial pumpkins.

I may look into it for next season. But I still have to give this tool a test run this year. Haven't used mine yet. But I'm planning to carve my Frankenstein and Dracula patterns into foam 'kins, so those will be my chance. I figure those classic characters are ones that I won't mind having around for years to come.

.......AND THE UPSHOT WAS?

...NEW TOOLS FOR FOAM-FANS? :?
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I got so busy last Halloween, I never found the time to use my Versa Tool's heated blade on my fake-kins. But thankfully, foam doesn't go rotten like a real pumpkin, so I could tackle this project any day. When I make the time, I'll report back on my experience.

I have a few foam pumpkins sitting around uncarved. I think I want to do a series of Universal Monsters. Starting with my Frankenstein and Dracula. I always worry that I'll get sick of the designs I carve in foam, because I'll see them every year. But I figure... can't go wrong with classics like the the Universal Monsters.
By GUS
Anyone tried spray painting the inside wall of a foam pumpkin white?
..I know people say put paper etc in but was thinking this would follow the line of the wall & not fold / crinkle so light should be more even throughout & possibly better cleaner colours.?
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Sounds like a good idea GUS. I assume the foam pumpkins have an orange color inside because they're trying to look realistic. But if you were going to go a slightly non-traditional route anyway, and use color lights inside, might as well paint the inside white. That would reflect the most light and show the purest colors. So... anyone tried it?
By GUS
Judging by the response I think I need to buy some plastikote paint (or similar) this week-end...
:roll:

I suppose it's got to be as neutral as poss for a paint (read water based in case it eats through the pumpkin.
..that would be your definitive toxic mutant pumpkin I suppose! :shock: :?
By Sind3315
Just to confirm, even if it has been already stated, the Versa tool kicks some major booty when it comes to carving the Michaels pumpkins. It really does cut through it like butta baby! :lol: I read this post last night and went out today to buy one and of course tried it out as soon as I got home and ended up carving two pumpkins relatively quickly and I'm such a Versa tool fan now... Hightly recommended for those that like the fake pumpkins. I usually do a mix of real and fake but love doing my fake ones cause I can keep them year after year or give away as gifts like I'm doing this year. I did Elvis for my Uncle. Can't wait to see the look on his face when he sees it.

BTW, Joann Fabrics and Michaels both have their pumpkins 50% off this week.
By 2manyferrets
GUS wrote:Anyone tried spray painting the inside wall of a foam pumpkin white?
..I know people say put paper etc in but was thinking this would follow the line of the wall & not fold / crinkle so light should be more even throughout & possibly better cleaner colours.?
I have used the color changing disks (which Ryan has here in the store) and Haven't had a problem. I do not use paper or anything else. Heres the Mars attacks I did last year...

For the traditional orange look, I also keep it how it is.

Heres a vid I took awhile back of the mars attacks with the color changing effect. It was taken on my phone so the vid quality is poor...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVRtNN4q8b8
By SuperSonic
i know on real kins u use drills for really small holes but how would you do that on a foam kin
By biggbad808
did my first foam pumpkin tonight. I choose an easy pattern to begin with and was shocked at how easy the versa tool made it. I glued the pattern on and the carved away. So much fun and addicting, i'm going to have to go out this week and get a few more. It looks so good, i was really impressed. My Halloween drive is in over load already. Cannot wait to do more.
By werehawk
I own a versa tool haven't tried it on my foam pumpkins yet. I was afraid of the "fire" hazard. I tend to use my dremel tool with an engravers bit to shave the outline of my pattern. Then use the bit to cut an 1/8 inch hole to insert my saw through. Less distress on the saw that way. I prefer the Micheal's / Gemmy over the funkins. The 2011 Micheal's seem to saw cleaner ( less rough edge ) than previous years and what little rough edge is then easily cleaned with an exacto.