Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
By dryersheet
Just went to Michaels and saw their pumpkins! They have the usual orange and white ones. They have the silver stickers and numbers on the bottom and a new tag. So I don't think these are really old ones being put out. Hopefully they are similar to the old silver sticker/numbered ones. They also had small teal ones and small green glow in the dark ones. Also instead of the half pumpkins of last year they have whole kins with holes cut out the backs of them. These ones seem to have some serious lines on the inside though. Yay tis the season!!
By Cirrus
I happened to stop in at Michael's yesterday and took a look at the pumpkin bins. So far, I'm not too impressed.

There were the normal, fully enclosed pumpkins, but then they had some with a huge hole in the back, and some really gnarly ribs on the inside, as mentioned by dryersheet.

They had some of the smaller half-pumpkins in one of the bins, and those looked smooth inside. I don't recognize the manufacturer on the tag.

If the full pumpkins have the same ribs inside, I'll pass on them. I still have a couple with those ribs from last year that I got on sale at the end of the season, and bought just because they were on sale. But I'm not very enthusiastic about carving with them again.

By Zombie Pumpkins!
Are the pumpkins with the big holes in the side meant for displaying plants or diorama scenes? I know craft stores like to push this sort of use for foam pumpkins. But taking away all that surface area isn't too good for us carvers. Also, this reveals that the pumpkins seem to have the "rib cage" lines inside, which many of us don't like.

Here's a photo of the teal and glow-in-the-dark pumpkins (thanks to by buddy Jeff for the pic). The teal ones are meant to show that you have non-food treats for trick-or-treaters with food allergies. Artistically though, I'm most intrigued by the green glow-in-the-dark ones. Some potential there. :frank:

By pagemaster1993
If only the blue and green ones came in a larger size. Then you could carve the Monsters Inc. patterns on them. Other wise you would have to size them down to fit, and I don't see that working out too well.
By Cirrus
Yeah, Ryan - I agree the ones with the hole would make great dioramas. I sort of envision a spooky backlit graveyard scene, but I am not sure I am crafty enough with miniatures to pull it off. Have to agree that the glow in the dark type have me intrigued. It will be fun to see what folks do with them.
By BigScience
I have over 100 carved foamies and I personally don't have any big issue with the ribbed ones all that much. I will keep buying from Michaels when on sale. Also at my local Michaels they have greyish/tombstone look painted pumpkins too.
By Minionette
I don't have an issue with the ribs either. I actually kind of prefer these to funkin for several reasons. I think that the cut away is for use as a diorama as Ryan had said. I've seen several done up and while they are pretty and different, they are not for me. I'm a carver, through and through. Actually just finished a warm up carve of Vulture Shock this evening. I'm ready, Patch master, bring those lovely new treats for us!!! :twisted:
By St0ney
They are Ribbed for Her Pleasure :D - LMAO !!

The Ribs are MORE of a concern for the "shaded carver" Because we need the light to go though the foam also, to light the (3rd Color).
For Cut-Out Designs, it's really not that big a deal, for even a Tea-Light will make the cut shapes Glow..

Years ago, Doh has come up with a Technique to Grind down those lines, with a paint stripper wheel, and a Drill extension bar.
(I still Use that Method to remove the lines on the carving side for Gemmy Brand Pumpkins.. Takes but 3 minutes)...
By BigScience
pagemaster1993 wrote:If only the blue and green ones came in a larger size. Then you could carve the Monsters Inc. patterns on them. Other wise you would have to size them down to fit, and I don't see that working out too well.
Both Mike and Sully work just fine on the medium size (9in?) pumpkins.
By St0ney
I carved a Few of the Large this Year, The Paint is Terrible. (if Using a Dremel).
And this time I'm talking about Cut-Outs. The Bits get Caked up quick, Have to keep Stopping to clean the bit.

and the bits break, Because of the paint, throwing it off Balance..

I swear, One Day, these guys will get it right... (This is NOT that Day) !
By sloaner
Thanks for the heads up. I bought 4 this year and already carved them, still have about 7 or 8 uncarved from last year. How many do you have now BigScience :?: I would guess between 50 and 100. I think I have 60ish.
By Pargolf
So the 13" kins are an issue with Dremels. Has anyone tried shading these???

11.99 (sale) is a good price unless they are all Jacked up.
By St0ney
Ken:
He's Talking about the Paint Issue on this Years Gemmy. (Par's Been Around for as Long as I can Remember)
He knows you can Shade on a Gemmy..

Par, The Paint will muck up the bits (during Shading). - To me it's Very (Make that Extremely) Frustrating.

We ran into this Issue a Few times... Have Lot's Of Bits, and clean any that get caked up...

I've used this to Clean the Bits (see Photo), I put the Mucked up Bits in a Small Rock Glass and Let them Soak overnight, The Paint Breaks down, and Just wipe them Clean with a Rag.
If you Use Diamond bur bits, make sure the paint is off that section first. or they will get Ruined.

Warning - Use this Stuff outside - It's Strong and Smells like a Skunks Ass !