Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
My wife is an elementary school teacher and takes a couple of my foamies to her classroom every year. A teacher in her building asked if I could carve her a witch into a foamie, and of course I don't mind. She went to Michael's and bought an orange glitter/sparkle pumpkin for me to carve. I am not concerned about cutting it (I use versa-tool) but transferring the pattern seems a bit tricky.

I usually use white school glue and stick it to the surface and let it dry for about 6-10 hours, cut through the paper, soak the pumpkin for 3-4 hours, and gently wipe it clean.

However, I am not sure this will work on the sparkles/glitter. I tried poking a couple holes in the bottom (i.e. the poke-poke transfer method) but they are not visible. Also, like I have done in the past, rubbing flour on the surface to make the holes show up isn't really an option either...

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, Daniel
I'd be a little worries the stick n carve would take the glitter off. When dry and you peel it can take the orange off a foam pumpkin. If you think the glitter can take a wash and scrub...sure.

Otherwise I'd go dry. Print the pattern, tape it on (or use some of that tacky gummy stick stuff you hang posters with) then somehow get the pattern on there. Use a ballpoint pen and press hard to make a noticeable imprint; then carve away. I looked at one myself this year and decided it would be more of a pain than I would want...plus the glitter...

Good luck
I would use the poke method and then sprinkle flour or cornstarch over the pumpkin. It will collect in the holes and make them visible. Either that or use transfer paper, tape the pattern on and trace it onto the pumpkin.
Rich D wrote:I would use the poke method and then sprinkle flour or cornstarch over the pumpkin. It will collect in the holes and make them visible. Either that or use transfer paper, tape the pattern on and trace it onto the pumpkin.
He can't go that route, it's a glittered pumpkin. He said he tried poking the holes and they wont show up..

I have one of those glitter 'kins. I never thought of carving it, but it would probably be really cool. It might be easier to get a normal fake 'kin, carve it and then glitter it yourself after either with glitter, glitter glue or glittery paint. Carving it might make the glitter flake off really easily.

Let us know if you ever figured it out and got it done!
I found a solution, although I can say I will never carve a glitter foamie for myself, glitter everywhere... I found Elmer's makes a clear school glue which worked well to put lightweight computer paper onto the kin with the pattern printed on it. After carving, I soaked the whole thing for a couple hours before trying to remove the paper. The glitter stayed on surprisingly well.