Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
By Batgirl
Have any of you ever shipped a carved foam pumpkin? If so, what precautions did you take to get it to its destination without damage?
By Pumpken
I shipped quite a few this year. If the carve is delicate, I put the big packing bubbles (I have them saved for me at work when we get office supplies) inside the pumpkin so it pushes out on the pattern to make it less likely it will break off. If the carving isn't delicate, I wrap the sheet packing bubbles around the outside. In either case, I place it in the box do the carve faces a corner, then fill in the gaps with packing bubbles so it can't move around, then ship it. I haven't had any problems.
By pumpkinautopsy
Pumpken wrote:I shipped quite a few this year. If the carve is delicate, I put the big packing bubbles (I have them saved for me at work when we get office supplies) inside the pumpkin so it pushes out on the pattern to make it less likely it will break off. If the carving isn't delicate, I wrap the sheet packing bubbles around the outside. In either case, I place it in the box do the carve faces a corner, then fill in the gaps with packing bubbles so it can't move around, then ship it. I haven't had any problems.
Totally agreed with the above!! I always fill my 'kins (bubble wrap, peanuts, the foam sheets that they wrap dishes or TVs with, etc) and wrap them prior to packaging. I'm in Alabama and have shipped all over the state and out as far as NY, MI, and CO without issue. If you want to save 8-15 dollars that the parcel services will charge you to package your 'kin, pick up a couple of smaller boxes from the moving/storage section at LOWES or HD (usually $1-$1.50) and see if that will work for you. This affords you the opportunity to write things like "fragile", "this end up" or "top load only" on the box. I've been doing that for several years now.