Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
By rumple76
Home Depot is currently selling 12 inch carvable foam pumpkins for $8.85. Has anyone tried these? The brand appears to be the same as Michaels?

By shaft28
Those are exactly the same craft pumpkins as Target is selling here for $12. Stems and bottoms are identical.
Think I may need to check out HD today.

I found them good to carve but the cut foam was very feathery, so will need some dremel work. Gets thicker at the base as well. Found them good flexibility as I cut a trapdoor hatch to toss in the light (sometimes Michael's break when I try opening).

Looks like a deal!
By rumple76
Cool! I recently switched from using a versa-tool to using a dremel. So hopefully I won't have any problems carving this with a dremel. I have not graduated to using patterns with shading yet, so I have no idea how these would work for shading.
By YoshioKun13
Speak of the Devil!

I was just about to post about this in that other topic with all the variety of pumpkins available from the different stores.

Kind of amazed actually, with how comprehensive this place is and you guys are about this stuff that these Home Depot brand 'kins.....hadn't been mentioned anywhere here, at all, until now.

I discovered them last year on my hunt for craft foamies outside of the Michael's and Jo-Ann ones, just happened to stumble upon them I guess. Tried it out and found them to be the ideal choice for me. Yes they are the same as the old style type sold at Michael's, I see they're on the Gemmy site. But with 2 important differences which make them totally superior. One - a bit thicker walls to allow for more shaded layering and an easier time with that, and two - NO stupid ridges on the inside! :D

Big selling point right there.

At 12" tall it's a good size, not too small or too large. Sort of an elongated, rectangular oval shape which lends itself better to more vertical pattern designs but can easily accomadate wider horizontal images as well. Here is an example of a commissioned piece I did on one earlier this month:

So yeah, I've found them to be pretty much the *PERFECT* option for doing these more elaborately detailed shaded carves, and for simple designs too of course. Highly recommended.

Feel like going back to the Depot and stock up on these while they're still available.

:lol:
By YoshioKun13
shaft28 wrote:Wow, awesome carve!
Thanks!

Yeah that one came out really well.

I had done it last year when I was just getting started with carving out foamies, though that one was just shaded layers because I had a design on the opposite back side with cut-out shapes. Word-to-the-wise, if you're doing a double-sided pumpkin carve don't do cut-outs on both front and back because it's gonna show through both ends on the other side. So only done side that way.

Since this person only asked for that particular design, on one side, I was able to cut out holes for the brightest areas. :thumbsup:
By rumple76
I actually let my 7 year old daughter carve the Home Depot pumpkin. She just used a saw tool because she couldn't really handle a dremel and I wouldnt let her try a hot knife. But I definitely like these pumpkins and I'm going to buy a few more. Here is her pumpkin:

And here is our collection from the last few years. Not the best quality pic but if you zoom in you can get a better look

By dryersheet
YoshioKun13 wrote:

Kind of amazed actually, with how comprehensive this place is and you guys are about this stuff that these Home Depot brand 'kins.....hadn't been mentioned anywhere here, at all, until now.
Actually posted about these last year but no one seemed interested because of their size. I carved the weeping angel on them and it was the perfect size. Didn't look at them this year as I didn't do any carves this year. They look different in your pics than the one I bought last year. Kind of mad I didn't buy any now since they are such a good deal haha
By BigScience
Added 8 of these to my stash today for $4.98 each! They look and feel as good as Michaels "dated" ones, just a hair smaller.
By Zee
BigScience wrote:Added 8 of these to my stash today for $4.98 each! They look and feel as good as Michaels "dated" ones, just a hair smaller.
Good score! I stocked up as well! :)
By BigScience
Carved 5 of the 2014 Home Depot Pumpkins from last year (bought in November for under $5 each), just as good as any of the "Dated" soft foam ones from michaels (I use a versa-tool to carve). Anyone know when we can expect to see these pop up at Home Depot again? I checked in my area and no one has them yet. At under $10 a piece (last year) well worth it...
By Pargolf
Dang! At that price, I am very interested.... Want to try my hand at the foamies again. It was a downer last year with the FUNKIN Mess and Micheal's changing their make up.