Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
By Minionette
I just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone for all the encouragement and tips regarding switching over to dremel! I carved my first 5 foamies yesterday using this method and all I can say is HOLY COW! How fast and easy it was! The lines are so much smoother and appearance is remarkable! It wasn't nearly as hard to control the dremel as I thought..

I don't know why I didn't do this years ago! So many many thanks to all of you!! :thumbsup:
By St0ney
Minionette wrote:I just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone for all the encouragement and tips regarding switching over to dremel! I carved my first 5 foamies yesterday using this method and all I can say is HOLY COW! How fast and easy it was! The lines are so much smoother and appearance is remarkable! It wasn't nearly as hard to control the dremel as I thought..

I don't know why I didn't do this years ago! So many many thanks to all of you!! :thumbsup:

I'm glad you posted that !

Many Folks Just don't like Change !
And We speak from experience, We have tried Saws, We have tried Hot-Knifes, and The Dremel is the best tool for carving Foam pumpkins. :thumbsup:

Here's my Take on this...........

If you Carve LOTS of Foam Pumpkins Get a Dremel - a Full Setup - Dremel, Keyless Chuck, and a Foot switch.

If you Carve a Few Foam Pumpkins - Get a Cheap Knock off rotary tool - make sure it comes with a flex shaft,
Dremel is NOT interchangeable with the Other Brands. So their Flex Shaft will NOT Fit, These cheaper Brands...

Side Note: I used to use the Hot-Knife to just cut the bottom Disc, Until One day, I forgot the switch was on, pretty much all day.
I grabbed it out of the Soldering stand I have, and literary burn my entire Hand. So I'm done with that thing ! :D

I actually Use a REAL Keyhole Saw now to cut the bottom Disc, with a Fine tooth Blade.

Saws - Give Rough Edges - Will never use one to carve a foam Kin.
X-Acto's Are too Dangerous, One Slip and you have a red Pumpkin (covered in your Blood) - LOL
I love my Dremel as well! Glad I switched over years ago... Now lets get to the goods and see those pics of your carves!! I'm excited to see 'em! I'll be lookin' for ya in the "photos" section of the forum!!
Cookies????? What kind of cookies???? lol!!! I have done 15 so far and probably have another 35 or so planned....

Cannot.....resist......FOAMIES!

St0ney, I was using the dremel on the bottom too, just with a heavier bit. Seems to work pretty well. I made a hole "thingy" (pardon the technical term) so I get the hole on the bottom nice and symmetrical.

I also figured out in a hurry what would happen if I didn't hold the flex shaft perpendicular to the funkin... SNAP! Dang it, there goes another bit! **sigh**
By St0ney
Hi Minionette: Yep the smaller bits Break from time to time. I buy them By the dozen, Like 5 Dozen.
I still have many Left, If I ever get down to say 12 I'll re-order...

I carve a LOT - So the Bits are just as important as the pumpkin,
Copy Shops don't run out of paper, if they do, FIRE THE GUY ! - LOL

About the Bottom Disc, Yes I know you can cut through with no problem with a dremel, and a thicker Bit...

The Reason I don't go that route, is when using a dremel on the bottom it does take out a lot of foam.
See I actually re-glue the disc back in after the carve is 100% Complete/Cleaned...

My Reason, I Promote the Use of adding Some Play Sand inside the pumpkin to weigh it Down, When Displayed outside.
So I make sure the thing is Solid Again.

So this is why I use the hand Saw, and it only takes about a minute.. (there's always a good reason, why I do certain things) :D

Also when you cut that disc, you want to go in on a 45 degree angle, So the Disc does not fall in the pumpkin, this will also give you a more snug fit.
For glueing or not.
That's another really great idea! Especially for outside display.

I generally don't put mine outside, lotsa little hooligans in my neighborhood. And unless I sit out there, they would run away with my stuff! So whatever I put outside for Halloween night, must come in before I am done.

I go all out, fog machines (yes plural) strobes stuff in the trees..... and on and on....Its a sickness.....
My main concern was being able to control it. It takes a little practice, but I'm becoming more proficient by the day.... (by the hour this time of year! lol!) I am now a dremeler, and am not looking back!

My hand still isn't as steady as the more experienced dremeler, but I am getting there. Maybe next year (gulp!) I might try one of St0neys simpler patterns.... maybe! :shock: Did I say that??? HAHA!!

My advice, pick a simple pattern at first, until you get the hang of it, then go from there...... Good Luck!!
I find each season it's best to get back into the swing of things with the dremel starting with an easier pattern. Gets you warmed up for the more complex ones. Takes a bit to get used to.