Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
Today I went to (3) Micheal's Stores in Philadelphia 2 of the 3 Already Have Pumpkins out.

If looking for Funkin Brand, the Pumpkin will JUST have a Black dot, on the Bottom. No Numbers Stamped on it. or Silver Tag.
the Funkins have, No Lines inside, and Glows Great !

If the Pumpkin has Numbers stamped on the Bottom - It's a Gemmy.
And Still Has those God-Awful Lines inside.

Note: All Micheal's Pumpkins Both Gemmy and Funkins, are re-branded and will have the (Celebrate It!) Tag on them.

This is What the Micheals Tag Looks Like.

Since the Michaels pumpkins are sort of their own beast - rebranded as Celebrate It, made by different companies, but all made to have the same shape that is unique to Michaels - I figured I would split this off into its own topic.

When compared to previous years, the Michaels stores around me have been slow to put out their Halloween stuff. Especially the pumpkins. One location I checked didn't have any last week (but then someone told me they put them out a couple days after my visit). My closest Michaels didn't have any out as of Monday. I'll probably check again this weekend, just to get an idea what they look like (thanks for the identification tips, Stoney).

I'll probably buy a few, to try them out. But I'll wait for there to be a good coupon.
so, the "non-numbered" pumpkins at michaels are made by Funkins? I went to my michael's store the other day and to me they felt just like those awful "non-numbered" ones they had last year, so I didn't get any at that particular moment. I will have to try one out though. I didn't mind last years "numbered" ones. Some had lines, some didn't. Not too big of an issue to me. Has anyone tried shading one of these new "funkin" models at Michael's?
Just got back from Michaels and picked up one of the new Funkins. They had both styles, but it was fairly easy to distinguish the two brands, just by looking at the stems and single black dot. I can't wait to see how they carve.
I was at Hobby lobby and they had all of their fall stuff at 40% off including the funkins! Whoo! :thumbsup: Asked if they would do a bulk purchase deal (hey, it never hurts to ask) and they said no. I was going to buy them anyway. still a great deal!
after carving one of the Michael's non numbered funkins, I am still a bit unsure. I was doing a design that was partial shade but mostly cut outs. It cut pretty well with both a hot knife and a dremel except I would hit spots like hitting "knots" in wood. When I started to shave I came to realize the "knots" were thin layers of hard plastic on top of the foam that were difficult to get through. Strange... Don't know if it was a single pumpkin, or if they are all that way.

One more thing, to me the foam is a little too dark colored. I am probably going to end up hitting the inside with a bit of white spray paint to brighten up the design.

I will try another soon.
The pumpkin options at Michaels craft stores have mostly been covered by now. But I took some pictures to fully illustrate all the varieties of foam pumpkins they are selling this year. Here's the line up of sizes you can find:

These are the ones made by Gemmy. They come in three sizes, in orange or white.

6.5 inches (reg. price $9.99)
9 inches (reg. price $14.99)
13 inches (reg. price $29.99)

The medium 9" size also comes in black. Here's a shot of the Gemmy 9" pumpkin in black, white and orange.

At one of my local stores, they had a version of the orange 13" pumpkins manufactured by Funkins. You may also find Funkins in the other sizes as well. Both versions (Gemmy or Funkins) will be the same shape and have the same tag. Here's a shot the 13 inchers, side by side:

The orange of the Gemmy pumpkins is a bit darker, the Funkins are slightly more vibrant. The Funkins appear a tad more glossy, and the paint style of the stems is noticeably different:

The bottoms look like this, with only the Gemmy having stamped numbers and this metallic sticker.

If the metallic sticker falls off the Gemmy, you'll see a dark dot just like on the Funkins, so use the number (or lack of) to tell which is which.

You can also feel a difference. The Gemmy is softer, more rubbery foam. If you press hard enough, you can bend the surface. Funkins are a harder foam that doesn't bend.

2014 Funkins should have a consistent thickness overall, while the 2014 has these support bands inside:

I think Michaels is doing a disservice to customers by selling two versions of the 13" pumpkins and labeling them as if they are identical. If they want to use more than one company/factory to make them, that's fine... just let each company distinguish their product.

As for which options is better... that depends on what type of carving you're doing, what tools you're using, and what your personal preferences are. Now that you know how to identify them (and don't forget that even MORE variations of Funkins are available in other craft stores) you can try some of each to make your own judgement.

Please feel free to share your thoughts on your experience, what you prefer, and what tools and methods work best for you.

I think it also depends on the Micheal's Store, the Stores in Philadelphia, had Funkin Brand also in all 3 sizes.

And I agree 100%, I wish Micheals would allow the companies to submit their own Designs.
The Carvers Choice Funkin that is new this year, is about the same Size as the Micheals 13" Kin,
and Looks So much better, in Shape and Color.

I asked Funkins to Bring a Carvers Choice Funkin to Micheals and Try to Get them to Change, maybe if they see it in person ??
And these Come in Light Orange, Dark Orange, White, and Black.

As of now, this Model is only Available on my website.

Here's a Screen Shot of what they look like
St0ney wrote:I think it also depends on the Micheal's Store, the Stores in Philadelphia, had Funkin Brand also in all 3 sizes
Ah yes... ok I've amended my previous post with that in mind. Come to think of it, I do seem to remember seeing the Funkins-made pumpkins in other sizes too (during previous years). My Michaels location didn't have any medium or small Funkins this season, or at least they didn't have them on display yet.
I REALLY need to see a "shade carved" Funkin/CelebrateIt pumpkin from Micheals. If they're like the one I picked up last year, NO light gets through. I had to eat the cost of another pumpkin and carve...haha. Picked up my first Gemmy today as I have my first orders for 2014!!!!
pumpkinautopsy wrote:I REALLY need to see a "shade carved" Funkin/CelebrateIt pumpkin from Micheals. If they're like the one I picked up last year, NO light gets through. I had to eat the cost of another pumpkin and carve...haha. Picked up my first Gemmy today as I have my first orders for 2014!!!!
Not knowing that it was a deal breaker for shaded carves, in 2013 Funkins used a light-blocking agent in their foam, which totally stopped light from getting through. BUT... for 2014 they have reformulated and corrected the issue. So feel free to give it a shot! If you try a Gemmy and a Funkin from Michaels, let us know how they compare in your experience.

Stoney posted this photo of the Funkins you'll find in Michaels. Looks pretty glowy to me!

pumpkinautopsy wrote:I REALLY need to see a "shade carved" Funkin/CelebrateIt pumpkin from Micheals. If they're like the one I picked up last year, NO light gets through. I had to eat the cost of another pumpkin and carve...haha. Picked up my first Gemmy today as I have my first orders for 2014!!!!

They have certainly fixed that issue for this year.

The Grinch carve....Which new Funkins model is that St0ney? I took that photo and I don't remember having to "light the crap out of it" to get it to glow so it must be pretty good. Well...it is out in my shop right now so when I get home I can have a look. I do have a carve from last years opaque kin and I was not pleased. I need to find a pic of it and post.