Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
By Minionette
I carve a lot..... as do we all. :) I sit on the floor when I do because of all the dust. So I got to thinking there has got to be an easier way to support my pumpkin while I carve other than my legs.... I scrounged around and found these great tubes where I used to work. They are sturdy and solid and can hold my pumpkin in any direction it needs to be for carving. A standard plate will fit on the top of them, so it can double as a display stand too. When carving, I use a towel to protect and hold the pumpkin. It works great for me and it was suggested that I share this great idea with all of you!

Sorry the pics are sideways, they were not that way when I uploaded them! Website must be having some trouble today!

By Zombie Pumpkins!
Thanks for sharing your idea, Minionette! Do you know where the general public could get their hands on big tubes like this? Our workplaces might not have them... mind doesn't! ;)

A strong tube with this diameter must be good for holding a round object in place. Reminds me of what I do when carving watermelons - Since they are round, with no flat bottom for standing, I place them in a large bowl so they don't roll around. This is mostly for the step of removing the insides. The flat bottom of the bowl stands the melon upright while I scoop out the insides.

Don't worry about the sideways photos. At least we get the idea! When viewed on your computer, your software can probably read the metadata that says the photo was taken with a 90 degree rotation. But where you uploaded them, TinyPic, doesn't know that info.
By portercat
The tubes are called Sonotubes. They are used as forms for pouring concrete in to form structural columns. Should be available at most hardware/home improvement stores. Sizes range from 6" to 12" in diameter X 8' long. Cost (CND) 8.00 - 16.00 depending upon diameter. They are typically made of 1/4" thick waxed card stock that cuts easily to required length with a hand saw.
By Minionette
Never thought about the former tubes! They would be perfect! :thumbsup:

lol! I know those pictures were facing the right direction when I uploaded them! haha!! Thanks for the info on tiny pic! It's still new to me! :D

The tube is excellent for holding the foamies. Its diameter along with the towel holds them very snug and secure while I carve away! It seems that no matter the direction, the pumpkin sat well, it didn't shift or move around. It's very strong and would easily hold a watermelon too! :wink: