Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
By St0ney
This is the Final Update on this Pumpkin / Project:
For this is What WILL be in the Micheals Stores Come (JULY/AUG).

I decided to create a new thread - for the Other thread talks about the 2013 Pumpkin.

Here's the Deal, The Stem will be the Same as Last year -
And I'm going to be honest and tell you why, Micheals is still going to use both companies to make these pumpkins.
So they need to Look the same, If everyone Purchases this NEW Pumpkin - Then chances are Micheals will eventually go with the One company.

ALL the Molds will need to be trashed, and re-created to give the pumpkin a New Stem, Which cost 10's of thousands of dollars.
IF this company gets MORE Sales from Micheals, then it is worth it for them to RE-MOLD.

BUT Here's the Plus's
And this is the Actual Pumpkin that will be Sold

a) Still NO Lines inside (HUGE BONUS)
b) Look at the Glow, not Only is it Glowing, But it's more Natural.
c) Works for BOTH Shaded and Cut through Patterns.
d) The Bulb used for this Carving is a 15 watt CLEAR Bulb - The Foam is Giving the Color of the GLOW.

For Shaded Patterns - I recommend a 15 watt Bulb - For 100% Cut-Out Designs a 5 Watt will do the trick.

So that's it - THE 2014 Micheal's Pumpkin
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW PRODUCTS - These will be Sold in Different Stores. (Micheals or AC MOORE, or Joannnes, or Hobby Lobby, etc...

a) a Carvable Tombstone - Looks GREAT - I will post Photo's when I get it Back and carve it, the CEO needed it back to Show one of the chain Stores.

b) Carvable Christmas Balls - Their out there in a few stores to test sales this year, From what I'm told they are selling Well, so they should be in all the Micheals Stores next year. (Keep in mind that Micheals has (I Think) about 1,050) stores. So if these were in Say 200 stores, they will still be hard for us to find.
(I struck out in Philadelphia)

c) Funkins is Putting Out (2) NEW Foam Pumpkins, If you Liked the 2010 Gemmy Pumpkin, then Your Going to LOVE this One.
These Pumpkins will not Be in retail Stores, But Sold "on my WebSite" This is the One I helped Design. It will look and Glow Like a REAL Pumpkin. :wink:

This Model is Called the Stoney-Kin :lol: The shape is what it will be, the Foam Color/Carve is still in TESTING.
(I'm going to Try MY Best to keep Shipping Cost as LOW as I can)

d) We are also working on other Foam Shapes, that can be carved, Footballs, Xmas BELLS, Hearts for V-DAY, Eggs for Easter etc......

e) I'm not much for Sparkly things: But there will also be NEW Glitter Pumpkins (and they Look GREAT), these don't have glitter glued on the outside.
The Glitter is part of the Pumpkin Shell, So when carved, you wont see glitter on the table or flow, and the over-all Has a Glossy look to them.
The size is about 10" - Like the Small Micheals Pumpkin. These I belive will come in 4 Different Colors.

Once the Pumpkins are ALL good to GO, I'll get Samples of ALL these New Products, carve them, Suggest changes (if needed), then Post photo's and Info on where to Buy them. :thumbsup:
By BigScience
Sweet! Please post updates as you can get them! How will we tell the difference between the "new" and the "old" kins? We had the date stamp on the bottom this year. Will there be a similar way to tell?
By St0ney
BigScience wrote:Sweet! Please post updates as you can get them! How will we tell the difference between the "new" and the "old" kins? We had the date stamp on the bottom this year. Will there be a similar way to tell?
I'll keep everyone updated and share whatever Info - I can.

Here's a Better Photo of the 2014 Micheals Pumpkin Carved (Thanks to Doh).

Thanks for the detailed update, St0ney. Sounds great, and I'm glad to have this info collected here in a new thread about the foam pumpkin we'll see available in 2014. I don't think you mentioned this factor, but perhaps it goes without saying.... I assume that these new pumpkins for next season will have that softer, more flexible/forgiving foam? The rock hard foam we saw during the 2013 season was my biggest complaint, with it's proclivity to dent or have pieces snap off.
By chuckwagon
Stoney, I have struck out with trying to find the carvable ornaments here in Charlotte, NC, and was really more curious as to the overall size... do you have any info on the measurements for those particular items that are non-Halloween related that are in the works? Having only seen the picture that you posted in another thread it was hard to tell.
chuckwagon wrote:do you have any info on the measurements for those particular items that are non-Halloween related that are in the works? Having only seen the picture that you posted in another thread it was hard to tell.
Stoney might have more info, but the sizes for non-pumpkin carvables might not be finalized yet, if they're still just in the planning stages. But if you're asking about those carvable foam Christmas ball ornaments mentioned in this thread, Stoney mentioned that they are available in 6.5" and 10.5" sizes.
By St0ney
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:Thanks for the detailed update, St0ney. Sounds great, and I'm glad to have this info collected here in a new thread about the foam pumpkin we'll see available in 2014. I don't think you mentioned this factor, but perhaps it goes without saying.... I assume that these new pumpkins for next season will have that softer, more flexible/forgiving foam? The rock hard foam we saw during the 2013 season was my biggest complaint, with it's proclivity to dent or have pieces snap off.
Don't shoot the messenger :D
The foam is the Same, From what I was told, There are restrictions on what foam chemicals can be used, (where the plant is located).
As Carvers we need to adapt, to the new Product/foam. After carving the sample, the foam carved pretty easy (with a dremel).

The Shape/Stem - Micheal's wants to keep it as is..

On the Plus side the color of the foam has been changed so it has a more nature glow. and there are no lines inside.

These Samples Were Carved by Gene, Over at Masterpeicepumpkins.

Figure I post these for they are 100% Cut-Out Designs.
These are the 9" Pumpkins (but Foam is the same in the Larger models) -

The one on the Top is a Funkin Brand Pumpkin. (Sold at AC MOORE)
The one on the Bottom is the 2014 Micheal's 9" Pumpkin.

Last edited by St0ney on Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
By St0ney
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:
chuckwagon wrote:do you have any info on the measurements for those particular items that are non-Halloween related that are in the works? Having only seen the picture that you posted in another thread it was hard to tell.
Stoney might have more info, but the sizes for non-pumpkin carvables might not be finalized yet, if they're still just in the planning stages. But if you're asking about those carvable foam Christmas ball ornaments mentioned in this thread, Stoney mentioned that they are available in 6.5" and 10.5" sizes.
The Christmas Balls - are 6.5" and 10.5" Round.

The Tombstone - I did not Measure - It was about a foot and a 1/2 to 2 foot tall, and about 4 inches wide.
The reason it's 4" wide and Hallow is so we can Light it, to make it glow.

When I get it back, I'll post Actual Numbers.

The Original Demo model was 3 foot tall, but would have sold for $80.00 Bucks.

The Smaller version will go for around 20 bucks.

Other Products - are still in the planning stages - So Size has not been determined at this time.
By St0ney
Okay - As stated, the Micheal's Kin is a Done Deal for 2014.
If many of you guys Buy it, We will be able to make even more changes in the future, It's Very expensive to change all the molds, So if the Demand is there.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's Switch Gears - This is a FunKin Brand pumpkin (the Classic #8)

We are still making changes on this Model.

The Foam thickness will be taken down to 3/8" - So a 1/32" Bit will go through it on one pass.
a 1/32" Jobber bit length Has Flutes that go 1/2" So cutting the 3/8's will not be an Issue.

The Actual foam Color will also be changed to a more Pumpkin Orange.

The Photo Below is before the changes take place, Here's the really cool Part.
This is Lit with a 5 watt Clear Bulb. It will glow even brighter Once the foam is taken Down.

The Foam thickness on this Carve was 5/8" Too thick for the Dremil Bit to go through.
And that was my only Complaint / Challenge .

By Drayco
St0ney wrote:Don't shoot the messenger :D
The foam is the Same, From what I was told, There are restrictions on what foam chemicals can be used, (where the plant is located).
I'm not trying to shoot the messenger :arrowhead: but I can't help but find this news very disappointing. I've carved the rock hard foam Funkin from AC Moore/Jo-Ann's before and I much prefer carving the other Michaels Gemmy because of the more flexible foam despite it's other design flaws. I can remove the annoying internal line/rib when necessary in just a few minutes with Doh's stripper wheel method and the glow of the pumpkin has never been an issue with me since I use Howler LED lights or colored Christmas bulbs.
St0ney wrote:As Carvers we need to adapt, to the new Product/foam.
To say we need to adapt to a foam some consider to be rock hard and brittle because Funkin won't or can't address this design flaw just doesn't seem right. There has got to be some other foam chemicals they can use that results in a more flexible foam.
St0ney wrote:After carving the sample, the foam carved pretty easy (with a dremel).
That's great for those who carve with a Dremel but what about those who prefer to use carving saws or an X-Acto knife? If Funkin truly wants to produce the best artificial carving pumpkin not only do they need to consider shaded and cut through carvings but the results of carving with other popular carving tools other than Dremel.

Don't get me wrong St0ney. Getting Funkin to at least listen and then to actually change some of their design flaws is real accomplishment. :thumbsup: No one else has been able to do that. But if the rock hard foam isn't addressed some carvers may consider buying other artificial pumpkin options.
By St0ney
Hey Dray - No offense taken, All I can do is give my input, I'm not the decision maker.
I addressed the actual foam used from the very beginning. and was told that the foam could not be changed. do to chemical restrictions in the area where the factories are located.

as stated we made leaps and bounds in other area's.
The #1 issue on this pumpkin (from my members/customers)- was that it did not Glow for shaded designs. - and that was addressed and fixed.
I posted that Shaded carvers should Avoid this pumpkin last season (2013), for it would not work/glow for them.

The New Foam was also tested for Cut-out Designs, by Me/Doh and Gene at Masterpeicepumpkins.
Shading Techniques was tested by me, Doh, Alex Weir, and Dan Szczepanski

Funkins has done it's own testing Using carving Saws.

What I meant by adapt to carving this pumpkin, is if folks buy THIS "Micheals pumpkin".
The Foam will need some getting used to. for it's different from the rubber foam, that folks have carved in the past.
in my testing with a dremel, (it carves much better than the Gemmy foam for both shaded and cut designs)

Because Micheals wants to keep the shape as is. (which I am not happy with).
Funkins, came up with (2) New Pumpkins this year, that has a True pumpkin shape / and a more realistic glow.
The thickness of these pumpkins, is 3/8's Which allows carvers to carve it with a dremel, I personally avoided funkins in the past, because they were way too thick, and had globs of foam in the inside. I still have some testing to do on these new pumpkins.
By St0ney
One last Note:

I agree 100% that Doh's method of removing the Lines from the Gemmy brand Pumpkins - Worked BEST !
I myself have used that method for years.

The Issue is - not many carvers were able to do it properly. There was still UN-even foam, or they would grind down the lines way too much, Leaving a Glowing ring, instead of the black shadow that was the original Issue. Hence creating a new eye soar/Issue.

Having NO Lines inside is and was the Ultimate FIX !!
And Funkins Listened to this concern, and made their version of the Micheal's Pumpkin with-out any Lines.
By St0ney
This is the Pumpkin I will be test Carving NEXT.

This is one of the NEW Funkins Brand Pumpkins. Called The Carvers Choice.
The Outside Color will be changed, so it not as Bright. The foam thickness on this one is 3/8"s

I will Post a photo of the carve when Complete, Did not even work on the Pattern Yet. doing that tonight, and will have it carved in the next few days.
By Doh
When carving the new kin I found that the foam was indeed more rigid than the old michaels kin but....I got little to no airborn dust and the foam seemed to shade smoother/easier.

Only complaint from me is that the kins do dent and stay dented. Easy to fix...I just have to pad my work area.

I love the changes.