Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
By snow2alike
I bought a new foamie today and the paint didn't look as bad as I first thought ~~~ Maybe I just got a good one!
Michaels did not have very many out yet ~~~ no big bins of them ~~~ just a few shelves. All I saw was lg, med, and small.
If there is anything good about this years 'kins is that the medium and small are the same price as last year. I love carving the smaller ones but the people who sign up for a class all want the big ones but I'm sure they don't want to pay more than last year.
I so wanted to be surprised when I opened it up ~~~ but I WASN'T ~~~ same grid lines as last years.
BOOO HISSSSS !!!
By pagemaster1993
I went to my local Michael's today and they didn't have any carvable foam pumpkins just those solid foam ones. They are starting to get in the fall line up stuff though.
By St0ney
snow2alike wrote: All I saw was lg, med, and small.

The real shame is what is now the Large used to be the Med.
They used to carry a much larger one used to be 16" High and much larger around.

I could have carved some cool things with those.
By SuperSonic
I've paid that price here in Canada before, nothing new to me. However I am afraid of the same thing happening here!
By snow2alike
NO LINES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NO LINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NO LINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The pumpkin I bought on July 2nd was dated 2013 and HAD lines.
The pumpkins I bought today Do NOT have a date printed on the bottom at all
and they have NO LINES!. It's not a smooth surface but not globby like funkins.
The picture of the inside of the pumpkin is terrible but you can see there are
NO LINES. I just put a light inside and stuck the camera lens in the hole I cut in the
bottom. They do see to be made of a harder substance ~ so I don't know how they
will carve or shade (if you are into that).

By pagemaster1993
St0ney wrote:I just went down my basement where I have 20 from last year, and they are all tagged $24.99 So Yep a 5 dollar Jump.

I had one of those 50% OFF entire order coupons, so I bought a bunch. (bunch = ALL that was there) :lol:
20! :shock: I wouldn't be able to resist carving them.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
NO LINES!?
Well that sure is interesting news. I wonder what the story is, as far their manufacturing goes. Is this the new standard? Will these new types of 'kins be widely distributed to all their store locations? I may have to pick some up myself, on which to experiment. More findings to come....
By pagemaster1993
It seems everything changes with Michael's Foamies each year. Used to have a green stem, now has a brown stem. The stem also used to have a curve to it, and now it doesn't. The color of orange changed from a pail orange to a more vibrant orange. I think the most notable thing that changed is the price. Each year the price went up, but I think this year was the biggest increase.
By snow2alike
maegnus wrote:If you can find a way of knowing which ones have no lines, I may have to stock up this year...
The one I bought at michaels that HAD a date line on the bottom of 2013 HAD lines.

The ones that did NOT have a date line at all - nothing - had NO lines.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I wonder how common these date-less foamkins are. I went to my local Michaels and turned over a lot of the large pumpkins to look for a date. All had a "2013" on there. Hmm.
By wookie66
I bought one today and there are no lines inside of it. There were no stickers on the bottom so no date. Im not sure what they made this pumpkin out of but it is hard as a rock. In the past if you pushed on the pumpkin it would push in a little but not this year. Also the price is 30 dollars but they already had them on sale today for about 20 dollars. Im going to carve it tomorrow and see how it does.
By snow2alike
Yes, they are HARD as a rock wookie66!!! They are almost a cross between a FUNKIN and
a Gemmy. No "crummies" when you carve ~ just some very fine dust! (mask?) and it really sticks to hands and clothes.
They carve easy enough with a ZP pro saw. Hot knife works on straight lines ~ doesn't like curves a lot.
It is easily drilled ~ no problems. Paint peels if you pull a piece to clean up a line ~ more paint come off on the side of line.
The walls are pretty much uniform in thickness. The walls are also the color of light brown sugar so when you light them up
the white light is a little off ~~~kind of pinkish. Makes eyes and teeth looks off color. If you use a color light ~ the color seems
to be a darker shade. That seems like everything I can think of for right now!
By snow2alike
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:I wonder how common these date-less foamkins are. I went to my local Michaels and turned over a lot of the large pumpkins to look for a date. All had a "2013" on there. Hmm.
Ryan, even the medium and smalls with a blank bottom are "no lines" too.
My Michaels sold the 2013 first. Their second shipment were all the new blank bottomed ones.
They told me they are getting another shipment in sometime in mid-August. Check and see when
your Michaels is getting a new shipment ~~~ maybe they will have blank bottoms!