Pumpkin patch practices and gourd garden grooming.
By Tkaraoke
I read this over on AOL and thought I would share...

=======================================

Pumpkin May Be Largest Ever
AP

WARREN, R.I. (Oct. 8 ) - Despite heavy rains that stunted pumpkin growth, a Rhode Island farmer has set what could be a new record for the largest pumpkin in the world.

Ron Wallace's pumpkin weighed 1,502 pounds at Saturday's weigh-off competition, heavier than the current Guinness World Record-holding 1,469-pound pumpkin grown last year by Larry Checkon of Pennsylvania.

Wallace said at the 13th annual Rhode Island Southern New England Giant Pumpkin Growers Championship that the key to growing a giant pumpkin is the ability to commit to the task from April to October.

"Pumpkin growing is a lot of work and you just have to stick with it," he said.

It is also weather-dependent.

Agriculture officials say the heavy rains this season have damaged or stunted the crop of many competitive growers of giant pumpkins. Central and southeastern Massachusetts were the hardest hit.

Officials say heavy rain delayed planting, impeded pollination and contributed to rot on blossoms and fruit. Another ailment, "damping-off," constricted pumpkin stems and contributed to the early death of many plants.
By Pumpkingrower
OMG.. warren is like 5 min from my house, how did I not hear about this? I will have to track this monster gourd down and get a picture. thanks for the scoop "uber poster"
By Tkaraoke
Maybe the guy hasn't really tried to spread the word about it since the publicity might attract unwanted attention from someone who might think it's funny to steal/destroy it before he can get Guinness to look at it. I know they would have to send official representatives out there to take a look at it and weigh it. I would keep it out of the public eye until they did so. I would love to see a pic of that behemoth! If you do locate it, try to see if you can put something beside it to give us an idea of scale.

BTW:

Speaking of "Uber-poster" I've been kind of feeling guilty about number of messages in these forums that have my name on them. I don't want people to think I just post to add numbers along side my screen name. I hope they have (at the very least) been informative and humorous which contributes to a positive community atmosphere in the forums. I've only recently gave myself permission to post three and four word responses to threads. I've even went back and added to previous posts but I stopped when I figured out the forum software doesn't trigger a "new message" response when you edit a post. If my frequent posts get to the point of annoyance, then I would feel that it was time for me to take a step back.

Me and another member were discussing the ranking system here and I think I have it figured out:

1 - Seed
2 - Sprout
3 - Gourd
4 - Pumpkin
5 - Rotting Pumpkin
6 - Zombie Pumpkin
7 - Pumpkin Loser
8 - Get A Freak'n LIFE!

:lol:
By Joey
Trust me, if you were an annoying spammy type poster, I'd be the first to tell you. You actually have a lot to contribute, so having a large post count isn't a problem. Quality over quantity, but both can work too.

On topic: That is one large pumpkin. I'd really like to see a picture, as I have no chance of seeing it IRL.
By balsak40
I can't imagine carving that.... :shock: I wish there was a pic.
By Tkaraoke
I'm really hoping Pumpkingrower can locate and photograph it for posterity. If I was able to, I would love to have my picture taken with it. It's nice to know that there is something out there bigger than me! ROFL!
:D
By balsak40
Tkaraoke wrote:I'm really hoping Pumpkingrower can locate and photograph it for posterity. If I was able to, I would love to have my picture taken with it. It's nice to know that there is something out there bigger than me! ROFL!
:D
How much bigger? :lol: I'm 350... :wink: It would take 4 of me to match that gourd.
By Liderc
Yeah I read about this the other day, noticed the "heavey rains destroying pumpkin crops". To think, mold, and now too much rain? Seems like pumpkin growers are wanting more money out of their pumpkins this year or something=P Maybe its a plot to squeeze money out of us=P Anyways, that pumpkin is amazing, can't imagine seeing it up close, must be a monster.
By Pumpkingrower
Well I have called Frerichs Farm but no answer as to if the pumpkin is still on the premesis but they are open from 9-5 so I will stop by tomorrow after work and inquire about the record breaking pumpkin. In my search to locate it I saw pics of other gourds of the Southern New England Giant Pumpkin Growers Association and they aren't much to look at except for their girth. Regardless I would love a pic with like Tk suggested. Will post forthwith once located.
By Tkaraoke
Thanks for being our pumpkin reporter, PG! LOL

It's really cool to have someone who is so close to a story like that where we might get a peak at this prized pumpkin.

BTW: I've noticed that most huge pumpkins are pretty much butt ugly. I saw some bigger ones today and they looked pretty hideous. The best looking big pumpkins I've ever seen are in the last panel of the RED BARN FARM thread (1st block of pics). They were smooth and looked excellent for carving.
By Pumpkingrower
Well it was well worth the trip despite the fact the 1,502 pounder was not available. "She" will be on Martha Stewart this coming Wednesday according to the Frierich Farm owner. I did lay my hands on a 1200+ lb Pun'kin that took 3rd place this year at the Southern NE Giant Pumpkin Grower weigh in.

Impressive nonetheless and as previously discussed not an attractive piece of fruit. If you would like to the other 1000 lb plus pumpkin and other pics from that patch check here.

http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d21/P ... ype=local.

Good times Good Gourds. This is ace reporter the Grower of Pumpkins signing off for now
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Ha! Excellent photo. That massive pumpkin is hideous and beautiful at the same time. Your wardrobe choice is also commended. :lol:
By Liderc
Heh nice shirt, and damn what an ugly pumpkin(alright begin the ridiculing).
By Tkaraoke
That is most awesome, PG! Glad you were able to snag a few pictures of some of those huge gourds. I wonder how much time and care it really takes to get those pumpkins to grow like that. Maybe you should join that society (if you can) and see if they can give you tips for your patch.
By Guest
Pardon my ignorance of the subject, but would this be what is called a 'milk fed' pumpkin? I faintly remember an 'ole timer' trick of milk feeding pumpkins. Has anyone ever heard of this?