Pumpkin patch practices and gourd garden grooming.
By monstermash
Wow, thats a super crop Dadja! I don't envy you at this early stage having keep those babies dry and cool for 2 months. I'm sure you'll manage. Apart from one obvious pattern choice, have you decided on some patterns already or are you waiting for the new ones?
By GUS
Dadja, I still have 1 squash i've kept back for fun to see how long it'll go..
coming up a year old, sitting on the table, picked early october 2010.
it's surprising how long they potentially can keep.!
By Hottie McNaughty
Wow, look at that! Good job and I'll keep thinking good pumpkin thoughts for you.
By Ajax
16 pumpkins good show.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Impressive looking crop! After last Halloween season, I was able to keep a couple pumpkins alive for more than a 1/2 year. You should have no trouble.
By Dadja
I can do such stupid things!!!

They're predicting storm later tonight, so I wanted to bring my kins inside. First one I put down, I feel it isn't right. So I pick it back up, look at the floor, the bottom of the pumpkin and I HAD PUT IT DOWN ON A F***** THUMBNAIL!!!!

Aaargh, might have to start carving early again...
By Zombie Pumpkins!
See, those pumpkins are just dying to be carved, like any good zombie pumpkin would. Soon they'll be throwing themselves upon nails, knives, or any sharp object they can find.

Seriously though, maybe you can try something like clear nail polish to seal the puncture and get that 'kin to last longer?
By GUS
Dadja, i've been lazily experimenting with my crop from last year (pumpkins & squashes...

A decent farm (or home grown) thicker skinned pumpkin (well 3 sat at the far end of 1 a room that fluctuated between 14c & 27c dry heat from a woodburner & lasted 3+ months as I recall ...after halloween, all having been field picked in early October??

They were placed on wood planking (smooth grain with a thin cardboard layer) , plenty of air space around them & a cool outer wall nearby.

others I placed in close proximity in a room that sank as low as 0.1c but closer together, these didn't last as well, seems they probably need more space to disperse any natural gases possibly.
The ones that went in a box in the cupboard under the stairs (total darkness, fared the worst going off really quickly ...within 6 weeks.

The squash that has sat on an oak table since October in a cool room (as low as 12c with least penetrative light shows zero signs of rot ...I'm wondering if it's the variety or whether it's slowly cooled & mummified..

No methodology, merely where they ended up... however it may be an indicator of keeping a few back for more relaxed carving in the new year.
By Chewy
Awesome work there!

It feels so good to see another home grown brood!
By CorpseBride
Nice looking crop! It's too bad about the rotted vine. I am sure they will last...I am always amazed at how long a good pumpkin can survive for. Don't forget to talk to them and tuck them in at night :D
By Tkaraoke
CorpseBride wrote:Nice looking crop! It's too bad about the rotted vine. I am sure they will last...I am always amazed at how long a good pumpkin can survive for. Don't forget to talk to them and tuck them in at night :D
...and read them Stephen King novels to sleep. You have to raise them up right!
By nosferatu
I'm surprised that they haven't all been carved into Johnny Cash!

Nice avatar by the way. Loving the haircut