Pumpkin patch practices and gourd garden grooming.
By kid
I've tried a small patch a few times, and have had a little bit of luck. The problem I have is trying to "pinch" the vine after the pumpkin. I heard you should do this, so the pumpkin on that vine get's all the nutrients. What's the best way to do this? It seems my vines start dying backward from the pinch point, and the pumpkin stops growing.
By Chewy
I dont know that i'd pinch it off. If i was trying to be sure that my plant focused on just that one fruit, i'd be sure to take off any other fruit anywhere else on the plant. but, i'd leave the two main vines in tact.

The thing about the vines is that they also root (giving the plant a much larger root system = more nutrients). Ive read that the giant growers like to put big curves in teh vines ahead of the fruit, then, stri them after the fruit and bury them so they root the whole way).

Good luck
By kid
That's interesting. I've never heard of burying it, but it makes sense. That will start a new feeding point. Thanks!
By Hottie McNaughty
I'm seriously going to have to give growing 'kins a try at some point. We have the perfect climate for it around here!
By kid
Don't make the mistake I did. I planted about 25 seeds in an 8x8 box. Let's just say...they got a bit out of control. I woke up one moring to a vine peeking around my curtains. It had had squeezed between the window panes :shock:
By Hottie McNaughty
kid wrote:Don't make the mistake I did. I planted about 25 seeds in an 8x8 box. Let's just say...they got a bit out of control. I woke up one moring to a vine peeking around my curtains. It had had squeezed between the window panes :shock:
:lol:

That's awesome and creepy at the same time. I dumped pumpkin guts in my little 'secret garden' once and had a renegade vine taking over, but no 'kins.
By kid
My wife planted a bunch of roses in our old garden, and the new one isn't set up yet. I'll have to give it a try next season.
By GUS
Pumpkin tendrils are like weed's place them by the soil & they'll root & feed.
By Chewy
The problem i have with teh additional rooting is that I have a drip irrigation system, which only feeds the main root location (ie where i planted the seedlings). The vines themselves & all those extra points only get water when it rains (weve had terrible weather this year, there's been lots of extra water!) or when i fertilize.

If the vines are going all little shop of horrors on you, you could think about bush varieties vs vine, worh some digging
By kid
The location of the new garden will be at the back of my yard. I can let them run free back there :D
By monstermash
I just let mine run free last year. I watered them and thats about it. Gus is right, the tendrils will just plant themselves and give you a new nutrient source. Were talking pumpkins here, they're smarter than we think, they'll grow without much fuss.
By GUS
Whilst above ground drip irrigation is good for regular plants, I'd really recommend both drip irrigation (as per chewy's set up) & the burial & marking of perforated pipe after planting, this way you can bash out water over the full extent of your patch & ok, whilst doubling up on water you can help things along ready for a certain growth stage & nutrient demands at critical points.

obviously being sub-soil located theres no evapouration, helping water conservation in the process, the tendrils will find & chase the moisture.