Pumpkin patch practices and gourd garden grooming.
By Dadja
The Pumpkin Patch at my house is at its last few days. Vines start to rot, pumpkins are almost ripe; so it's almost harvesting time :lol:

The Patch

There are some nice pumpkins in the bunch, although it's a quite disappointing year..., most of them are too small to carve, or are too 'low', so standard patterns won't fit.

So I've bought 3 other ones allready, and will probably buy some more today...

Of course we must be carefull with these zombiepumpkins, all pumpkins that won't be carved will be shot or stabbed first (just to make sure), and then turned into soup!
By Kittie
Last year I bought pumpkins a month ahead of Halloween and put them in my basement. . yeah. . . a few of them didn't survive untill Halloween!

So this year I am buying them two weeks ahead.

I will probably get about 15, and then the weekend before Halloween, most of them go on sale for CHEEP! So I will get around 15 more.
By amandap80
I force myself to wait until at least October 1 before buying pumpkins. My local grower is not selling this year, so I am not sure what I am going to do for my $250 of pumpkins and corn husks! I might take a road trip to the pumpkin farm in Alton, IL. It was in Martha Stewart last year. Anyone ever been?
By Pumpkingrower
I used to live in Gurney Mills for awhile but never made it out there.. plus I wasn't into carving then! *snaps fingers* bummer :o
By Dadja
Aah, yes, teh harvesting is over. Every pumpkin in my garden has been cut loose from its vines and teh result is an army of 77 pumpkins. 12 Of them are suitable for carving (most are too small or too low to use a detailled pattern on), 20 are to be used as 'decoration' and 55 (the small dark orange ones on the upper-right) to be cut into pieces and turned into pumpkin pie, pancakes, soup, and anything that needs enough heating to boil the 'zombieness' right out of them...

And check out this horribly-skinned and scared creature, nowthis is a pumpkin worthy of being a zombie-leader...

Plus the 4 pumpkins I had already bought, that means 16 patterns I need to choose, and probably some extra's for friends and relatives...
By Pumpkingrower
I can't begin to think of what to do with that.. there are so many deserving evil patterns to choose from.. maybe a newbie? Have fun and nice growing.. 8)
By Pumpkin King
Thats an impressive display of pumpkins. I used to grow my own, but I relocated last year and until I move into a house I have no garden area. I thought of getting a spot in a community garden, but then thought I would lose alot of pumpkins due to theft.