Pumpkin patch practices and gourd garden grooming.
By Joey
I realized that while I mentioned I was growing some 'kins this year, I never actually followed up with posting about it! I've been taking an (almost) weekly picture album of my growing experience. It's a little out of date, but: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... 9e5efeddd9

When I last saw them (before I had to leave for college) I had one tiny pumpkin that was just about ready to pick, and 5 others in various stages of life. Two even started up in September! California's growing season is weird. I'm going to pick them up sometime before Halloween so I can carve them up!

There's also been a lizard living in the patch. I named him Fred.
By CombichristGirl
lmao on fred ha ha! congrads on the babys
i tried this year as well got some pumpkins but i think if i carved my fist they would have some competition size ha ha.
cant wait to see those babys carved up!!!!! :)
By Joey
I'm excited for carving them! They're a little on the small side (Do they keep growing once they turn orange?) but I must carve them anyway just on principle!
By GUS
Have yu got a basic (drip feed) irrigation system in place? or are you topping them up every day / most days?
By SuperSonic
On the contrary Joey. Pumpkins prefer shade during the day, sun in the morning. This way the leaves don't end up sunburned. Water them later into the day (2-4pm) and then hope the sun isnt beating down on them so the water has a chance to soak up in the soil. Other than that, you've got a nice patch. :)
By Joey
That's about the sun schedule they get, since I've got a bunch of trees in my yard. I watered them via the hose every day, since I could never figure out how to get those drip irrigation things working. If it was particularly hot, I'd give them a second drink later in the day.
By hkzombie
I would imagine it would be different for us to grow pumpkins here in CA. I see shops set up but nothing yet, I think we won't start seeing them around til October... I would love to grow my own patch one day, Im just scared they will burn to death because of the sun over here!
By Joey
I'd actually start seeing them in grocery stores back home around International Talk Like a Pirate Day, but the good places never opened up until October. Try Albertsons if you have any around, they always seemed to be first.
By Joey
I hope you can forgive my double post, but I actually just updated the album with pictures from the past 6 weeks or so. I'm such a slowpoke sometimes.
By GUS
Joey, drip irrigation tends to be via microbore (small holes in thin plastic pipe) ,often in kit form, so you can space it to your plant layout, with different bungs & sprayers, the effect on plants is very positive, after a few measuremtns have been made (whether a remote timer is used or not) the trickle feed actually saves money in terms of water used, (you leave the fawcet open slightly all day.
obviously you don't want large pools of water so you tweak it so it soaks & keeps roots happy in the first few inches of soil.

there are also thicker (border) set ups with a hose flex that's coated & that is buried then trickles to do the same job, however for a singular patch I'd consider the former, the latter is more of a landscaping item.
By SuperSonic
You've got yourself some nice looking kins there Joey. :D
By GUS
looks like you could do with a moisture layer to keep the rooted area moist, very dry soil or compost, congrats though, we didn't get any grown this season.
By Joey
The main problem I had with the drip irrigation when I tried it with my first pumpkin patch was that the pumpkins grew away from where I had laid down the water tubes, and then it decided to stop working when I went away on vacation. Do you just have to keep following the pumpkin vines with them? I haven't had much luck keeping them contained, as the takeover of my yard in the pictures shows. I may give it another shot next time I try growing them.

As for the moisture barrier... I had originally intended to put down some mulch, but I got lazy about it and then they grew everywhere. Do you just need it for the main root area?

I probably won't be able to try again for a couple of years since college has me being pretty transient, but advice is good for when I do try again! So thank you Gus!

My dad has been keeping me updated about the patch back home, they're looking pretty good! Vines are starting to thin out, but all the pumpkins are looking good. The little one with the dead vine was picked, and I don't know when the other ones will be ready.

But I've been checking out the patches around here, and found two goodies: Image Cheaper then home, but still a bit on the expensive side. The first patch I visited had the pumpkins priced individually, and the bigger ones were pretty pricey. This medium sized one was pretty good though. The other patch priced by the pound, which is new to me. At .39 a pound, I hope they give bulk discounts...
By Joey
Forgive the double post, but my dad just emailed me some pictures of my home grown pumpkins post-harvest!
Apparently something has eaten part of the little one, but the others are looking good, if a little strangely shaped.