Pumpkin patch practices and gourd garden grooming.
By Raven
I bought my first real pumpkins today! Two of them. Nice big ones with a good flatter part for carving. I was so excited I had to share!! I don't worry about them going bad since I carve throughout October. No one but my husband and I see them, and all of you when I post pictures. It's the most wonderful time of the year!! :D

Oooh..and my post count is at 666.. Nice.
By nosferatu
Very jealous. No sign of pumpkins in any supermarkets here. Not even in the farm shops. It has been incredibly wet this year. Having said that, there is no sign of Halloween anywhere. Once the children had returned to school, I thought the shops would stock up with Halloween items but no......nothing.

Have you earmarked any designs for them or is it a case of wait and see?
By monstermash
Nos you can have one of my pumpkins if you want. NOT!! Mwahahahaha :twisted:
Have you decided on the patterns yet RD? I love this time of year too, especially when the pumpkins start turning up.
By Raven
I honestly have not really thought about patterns yet. I will be carving soon though. I always carve through the month. Baron Mojo is on my mind..
By Mistress_of_Halloween
I really like the Baron as well, I'm thinking of carving him too. The grocery stores are starting to put out their pumpkins, but I'm waiting for the local growers to start to sell them first.
By purple1worm
Cool!! I want some too!!! :cry: :cry:
By SuperSonic
IF I bought kins now, would they rot before the big night
By purple1worm
SuperSonic wrote:IF I bought kins now, would they rot before the big night
I've never carved this early, but maybe if you keep them in a cool dark place like a garage or basement. It's starting to get quite cool already, and I don't think we have to worry about another heat wave this year.
By punchi
I get most of mine early in the season, and I don't usually have a problem (and it's still in the 90's here). Most of them are harvested right now anyway, so they're either in some distribution center or your house. Just check them for bad spots-as long as they're tough on the outside and you keep them cool and dry they should last till you're ready to carve them.
By Nikki
I am envious- you guys have Pumpkins already!

I usually buy mine as soon the local stores/patches are open for business. I can't wait! :lol:

I usually keep them in the basement until the big day/night is upon us. If you keep them in the Garage/Basement they usually stay super fresh (not carved) and don't get all oogy inside.
By hkzombie
Nikki wrote:I am envious- you guys have Pumpkins already!

I usually buy mine as soon the local stores/patches are open for business. I can't wait! :lol:

I usually keep them in the basement until the big day/night is upon us. If you keep them in the Garage/Basement they usually stay super fresh (not carved) and don't get all oogy inside.
There's a local patch nearby and they have everything set up but no pumpkins.. I understand your pain. I mean they have all the Halloween Superstores, and the markets are filled with Halloween stuff but it's not the same without these babies around!!
By Nikki
hkzombie wrote:
Nikki wrote:I am envious- you guys have Pumpkins already!

There's a local patch nearby and they have everything set up but no pumpkins.. I understand your pain. I mean they have all the Halloween Superstores, and the markets are filled with Halloween stuff but it's not the same without these babies around!!
Agreed.. we are all filled with 'Pumpkin Envy' right about now... but soon they will come