Pumpkin patch practices and gourd garden grooming.
This is the first time ive had a go at growing my own. I live in Scotland and our Summer has been non-existent so goodness only knows if i'll get a proper kin out of this plant. Here is my progress so far. I took these pics today, about 7 weeks after i first planted:

Click on the pic to see the whole thing :D

Here they are a few weeks later. Notice the ring of slug pellets round the kins. I had no choice but to do this when the snails attacked the smallest pumpkin! THIS IS WAR!!

Id say that this one is my biggest. He is 16" tall. Im not sure how fat he is, i don't want to disturb him trying to get my tape measure round.

This one is a fatty too.

Starting to ripen up nicely.

Here is the little S**t that killed the baby of the bunch, caught in the act! :x
Last edited by monstermash on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Nice photos! I'm no pumpkin expert, but that patch looks pretty good to me so far. I love the look of the pumpkin plant.... the vines, the leaves, the flowers. Good luck with your kins.
By SuperSonic
zombiepumpkins wrote:Nice photos! I'm no pumpkin expert, but that patch looks pretty good to me so far. I love the look of the pumpkin plant.... the vines, the leaves, the flowers. Good luck with your kins.
Is that a double compliment Ryan :)

Thanks Monstermash for uploading those pics and if Ryan did compliment us both (I hope so, I bought a membership this afternoon :P) Thank you Ryan for giving us hope for a great growing season :)

I don't know if anyone knows this, but here are two questions I wish to ask.

a) What does it mean when a leaf turns white?

b) If a thick vine has broken and is turning black, what should I
do?
By monstermash
Well Sonic im not sure but common sense would tell me that if it looks diseased or dying get rid of it. Take the white leaf off. It sounds like the plant is just naturally sorting itself out so if it decides it doesn't want that leaf any more it will die off.
If the vine is broken completely its probably just dying. If it looks like its rotten or maybe diseased then keep an eye on it, you don't want it spreading to the whole plant. Look up close to make sure it's not a bug or blight that is causing it to turn black.
The vines do darken with age though, so it might just be doing that.
By SuperSonic
Okay thanks for the info :)
By monstermash
Has anyone got any idea when to cut pumpkins? Im scared to leave them on the vine with these pesky snails about.
By Nasty Canasta
Patch looks great.

This is according to University of Illinois:

"Harvesting
Pumpkins can be harvested whenever they are a deep, solid color (orange for most varieties) and the rind is hard. If vines remain healthy, harvest in late September or early October, before heavy frosts. If vines die prematurely from disease or other causes, harvest the mature fruit and store them in a moderately warm, dry place until Halloween. Cut pumpkins from the vines carefully, using pruning shears or a sharp knife and leave 3 to 4 inches of stem attached. Snapping the stems from the vines results in many broken or missing "handles." Pumpkins without stems usually do not keep well. Wear gloves when harvesting fruit because many varieties have sharp prickles on their stems.

Avoid cutting and bruising the pumpkins when handling them. Fruits that are not fully mature or that have been injured or subjected to heavy frost do not keep. Store in a dry building where the temperature is between 50 and 55°F."

Hope this helps. Again looks great and good luck!
By CombichristGirl
lookin good! $%#$@$# slugs. im struggling with my pumpkins this year. next year will be better lol
By monstermash
Thanks for the info Nasty Canasta i will try to leave them on for as long as possible. I'm paranoid about bugs attacking them now. Ive got the snail problem under control with the use of chemical warfare but dead snails = flies!! I might have to make little fly net for each kin to protect them. I think im taking it a bit far now.

Im giving my pumpkins to a local group who work with special needs kids. They were trying to grow their own to put into the local village show but had no success so im loaning them mine. I just hope they last until they want them.
By Dadja
Check them every 2 days mm, because once the vines rot, you have to act quickly, if it hits the stem, it's a goner. It's better to pick it when it's still a bit greenish, than with a rotten spot on the stem. Colour will come through any way, especially if you keep them around fruit like bananas and apples.
By Dredge
Im so jealous of this patch. I wish I could do something like this, but Im afraid it would take too much time and dedication for a patch this size.
By purple1worm
Beautiful! Wish I had the room and dedication for that!
By Dadja
It really doesn't take that much time, at least not for me. I plant them in May I harvest them in September. That's it, no extra work accept for some weeding in the first months, but when the plants get larger, it's best not to weed them anymore because they 'grab' themselves to the weeds and you also might step on the vines.

So let's say July - harvesting it takes no work whatsoever...