Pumpkin patch practices and gourd garden grooming.
By Artex76
We bought all of ours from a local pumpkin patch for 1.50 each. We bought 300 this year. But sold the extras to offset the cost of the ones we will carve.
By Crystal
Man I wish the patches around here were cheaper. Ive gone to 3 and they are all with in a buck of each other.

Im in the Centeral Valley of California for Gods sake! 12 bucks for ONE pumpkin is just way too much for us this year. DH is on unemployment. We usually carve around 25 or so. I have to find a cheaper place. I know some grocery stores charge by the pound.. like .29 per pound which is still far cheaper than the 12 bucks!

It makes me so mad.
By minion_of_the_pumpkin
dude 12 bucks! it better be the biggest pumpkin there. in l.a the pumpkins are like 3.50
By Raven
I paid about 7 bucks a piece for the ones I found. I have seen them as high as 11 bucks per pumpkin for good carving size ones. When I lived in Idaho I could pick them up at .08 cents a pound.
By Artex76
Well we get them froma wholesaler who doesn't do any business with the public. In order to get that price we had to order 200 or more. They were all pretty big from 25 lbs. to 40 lbs. Not a bad crop. We sell the extras for 3 - 5 bucks each. We are lucky since we live around lots of farms.
By minion_of_the_pumpkin
wow thats a good idea wish i could try that but i live in the heart of los angeles so...
By SuperSonic
minion_of_the_pumpkin wrote:dude 12 bucks! it better be the biggest pumpkin there. in l.a the pumpkins are like 3.50
my kins, as i mentioned before for the first 12 were 2.99 a piece

the other 18 were 1.99 a piece

but still as you said 12$ a kin is a s*** load of money

(and my kinds are fairly average size you see :D)
By SuperSonic
SaneInsideInsanity wrote:they are 3.98 at superstore right now here...it's odd a patch would change that much
thats also a Loblaws owned store (i worked at Nofrills which is also owned by Loblaws) so theyr prices are higher i got seriously lucky at A&P to find that price
By Pumpken
I was able to get these at a local pumpkin field for $33 ($3 for as many as you can hold). You had to go in the field and pick them. Unfortunately, about 95% of his pumpkins had rotted, so I pretty much wiped him out.

By Ajax
Nice i love these pictures, i picked up 15 so far paid for around $20. I have a confession to make i usually pay for 4 load my car up with 12 and sqeal away :oops: . It's kind of become a Halloween tradition. How much are they making off those things at 4.99 a piece.
By Ajax
I've been storing them in my parents grage i usually leave them out side but i don't want to take any chances with them this year to much rain etc. not sure if this is a good idea or not. I've noticed alot of rotten ones this year and even some of the ones i picked up won't last to the big event.
By Artex76
We got a ton of rain this year which was good and bad for the kins. The farms that were well drained did well but the ones that flooded did very poorly. The farmer we get ours from has a pond on sight that he uses for irrigation, pumops rain water out and then pumps back in to water them. So the amount of rain has no real effect on his crop. My big problem storing them here is squirrels they love to chew on them.
By harpman22
Walmart here has them for 3.98 each as well. My wife was purchasing pumpkins for me from Albertsons and they were charging 40 cents a pound. She came home with a 30 pounder that was 12.00. I wasn't too happy about that. Too much to pay for a pumpkin. It all adds up when you carve 15 to 20 pumpkins a year like I do. Would be nice to grow my own if I had land.. :roll: