Pumpkin patch practices and gourd garden grooming.
By Kittie
I start buying them the 2nd week of October. Last year was the first time we got a trailer load. We may just have to do that again this year. It worked out really well!
By SaneInsideInsanity
how did you go about getting a trailer load and did they deliver :P
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Last year I bought my first few pumpkins just a few days into October. I visit this nice pumpkin farm and pick up a few really big ones, just to make sure I'll have some prize pumpkins for my display.

Then during my travels in the coming weeks, I'll pick up a few more here and there. There are 2 or 3 other pumpkin sellers I like to visit. By the end of the second week of October, I probably have most of mine bought.

I'll keep in a cool place, sitting on plastic (in case any go rotten while they wait to be carved). I'll occasionally inspect them, and sometimes roll them over so they don't sit on the same spot for weeks. Let 'em breathe.

When people come to my pumpkin party, they often pick up a pumpkin at the grocery store on their way over. I could never take such a risk, by that time it's slim pickings. I like to buy at least a couple weeks early to make sure I have some winners.

I'm fortunate that I have a few local farms that sell big ones, so I always know where to look for my carving canvases.
By SuperSonic
zombiepumpkins wrote:I'll occasionally inspect them, and sometimes roll them over so they don't sit on the same spot for weeks. Let 'em breathe.
i havent heard of this method of rolling them so they breath does this matter while they sit??? Does it affect the time that it rots??? etc???
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Well I'm not sure if "letting them breathe" matters that much. After all, they usually lay on the same side the whole time they are growing in the pumpkin patch.

But let's put it this way... suppose your pumpkin went soft and started to rot, but only on the bottom. And suppose you didn't notice, and it just sat there for weeks getting worse?

If you've ever rolled over a pumpkin and found a soggy mess and a ruined carpet, you would learn a lesson, believe me. :(

So if you're going to have them sitting for a long time, it doesn't hurt to move them around and make sure no sides are rotting, and rest them on a waterproof surface.
By SuperSonic
thanks for the tips ill look into NOT having that problem of a stained carpet :lol: but mine usually sit for 5 days carved and two weeks in total would that be reason enough to roll them and inspect them???
By GUS
my Pumpkin claimed, "the dog did it" :twisted:
when questioned about the mess on the floor.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
SuperSonic wrote:mine usually sit for 5 days carved and two weeks in total would that be reason enough to roll them and inspect them???
Couldn't hurt, but I'm a clean freak so you may be asking the wrong guy. I've let carved pumpkins sit inside on a table for a week or two after Halloween. They'll gradually rot away, but it's okay because I have them on something waterproof like a plastic, metal or glass plate.
Joey wrote:Incidentally, do you know how to get those moldy pumpkin stains out of carpet? I made the same mistake awhile ago :oops:
In my case, it was more of a floor rug, and my solution was... throw it out. :lol:
GUS wrote:my Pumpkin claimed, "the dog did it" :twisted:
when questioned about the mess on the floor.
I don't own a dog, so my pumpkins better not try that one with me! :wink:
By emilymegan
We have a big local farm which puts the pumpkins out around the 1st of October. My plans are to go down the week before and pick out some big ones.

Either they sit in his field or my basement :) This way I know no one else will buy them :) :) And, I've gotten the pick of the patch !
By Hottie McNaughty
I start picking up my pumpkins around the first of October. I carve about one a day and just toss the carved ones that get moldy before the big day. I carve about 35 total but have approximately 8-12 on display at all times.

There are several pumpkin farms in my area so between those and the local stores I can find them on sale all month long.
By nosferatu
I don't pick them, they pick me.
By paddy_babe
I used to get them the week before halloween, but would only have small kins or just not so nice ones (when I was in bham it was fine, they had big ones until halloween) but this year I'm going to gradulaly (sp) buy kins here and there until I get the 'big' load.

I've already got 2, they are sitting in my kitchen but will be moving them to the outside store where its cold. as to rolling them... I have no problem with that. I have a 2 year old that is obssessed with balls! (so he keeps rolling them to his toy box lol)
By Carving Queen
I pick mine up usually as soon as they start showing up in the grocery stores (Oct 1st), and as long as my kids dont poke holes into them they last just fine up untill the day I make my first cut which is about 2-3 days before Halloween.

If I wait to long then I am left with the weirdo lumpy, wont sit upright pumpkins and I hate that! I also take my patterns with me to make sure they will fit properly.