Pumpkin patch practices and gourd garden grooming.
By CanadianCarver
Last year in my area it was quite dry, so it was tough to find big pumpkins locally. This year has been a very wet summer, so I am hoping this translates into some rather large pumpkins. I am just hoping to get some benefit from all the rain this summer! Anyone else seeing the positve in all this rain?
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I haven't heard any reports about the quality of this year's pumpkin crop yet, but I like your theory. Here's hoping for a great harvest!
By 500cdn
If Pumpkins was Grown In England They Would Be Massive..... It Never Stops Raining
By Tkaraoke
Same here in the KC area. We hardly got any rain last year (lousy harvest) but this time around we've had a good amount of rain so I'm crossing my fingers. It's been raining these past few days so I'm hoping that will benefit the pumpkins that are going to be picked at the end of this month and the middle of next.
Last edited by Tkaraoke on Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Chewy
We went to one of our local patches today (Richmond Country Farms - Richmond BC)... this year's crop here is awesome! We could only carry five though & had to make a second trip!

I even got one today that's about 30" tall & weighs about fourty pounds. Gutting it & thinning it is likely to be an experience.

By SaneInsideInsanity
the ones in winnipeg are georgous 2
By blueikaos
I'm not a pumpkin pro, but the ones by me when I went picking yesterday had a lot of growths on them.
The majority of the pumpkins looked really deformed. Way to hard to carve.
I've never seen anything like it before.
By SaneInsideInsanity
what area are you in blue
By SaneInsideInsanity
I've heard there's a pumpkin epidemic/shortage in a lot of area come up north for a few days picking is great up here :P
By SaneInsideInsanity
canada
By Raven
Its hard to find pumpkins around here this year. Some are saying it's due to a hotter than usual summer, some say it's because gas prices are so high that farmers planted smaller crops this year to save on fuel. Our local Wal-Mart has a lot but they are mostly smaller ones. :(
By CanadianCarver
Too bad for those having trouble. I was very pleased with the selection around me. I ended up with 35 pumpkins weighing anywhere from 20 to 35 lbs each. The best part is, I got them for $2 each. They are all quite healthy with good stems and no soft spots. I can't wait to carve them next week!
By CombichristGirl
i live in ohio and the crops are pretty nice this year imo out here anyways. deff. gotta come up north :wink: if it were so much we could all ship everyone some pumpkins :( :)