Pumpkin patch practices and gourd garden grooming.
By Nikki
So, I have an overly plump pumpkin..which means-LOADS OF SEEDS! I wanted to make some and bag them for friends and whatnot...

Question: Is it safe to eat the seeds from your pumpkin? And if so, how do you make them really good? Do tell do tell!!

P.S. How do you clean them before hand?
By stormqueen29
I always save and toast my pumpkin seeds.

My simple but tasty { to me anyway } method is this:

Seperate the big clumps of strings beforehand. Place seeds and remaining strings in a colander and set the colander in a bowl of water in the sink. Stir the seeds around with your hands, the seeds will slowly seperate and float, while the heavier strings sink slightly. Slowly scoop the floating seeds with your hands into an empty bowl, picking out bigger bits of strings as you go.

Once all the seeds are fairly clean, I cover mine with a strong salt water solution, using about 1/4 cup of salt to 2 quarts water, and let them soak for about an hour. Then I drain them in a clean colander, spread them in a single layer on a greased cookie sheet, and bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes to an hour. I stir or shake the pan every 15 minutes to ensure they toast evenly.

I prefer this method because I don't like a lot of salt on my seeds. The salt water soaking gives them a light salt flavor without being overwhelming. Lots of people just sprinkle them with salt then toast. You can also add all kinds of seasoning to them. Taco seasoning, ranch dressing or italian dressing mix, cajun, you name it. Just sprinkle on the seasoning when you put them in the pan, and stir gently to mix.

I've also heard you can put the cleaned seeds in a bowl, add your seasoning and a little vegetable oil and stir to coat the seeds and then spread them in a pan and toast them.

I discovered this year that the seeds inside of "pie" pumpkins are very good. they are small but very fat and really tasty. I learn something new all the time.

Gale
By Dr. Frybrain
Not only are they safe, but they are one of the best sources of nutritional magnessium you can find!

Never wash your seeds. Just pull out all the strings, and salt and bake.
By Crystal
I do have to say I like the taste of the pumpkin stuff on them but I like salt too so I have to find a happy medium..

that and as said in a differant post.. I melt butter and dump over them.. then bake 'till crisp.