Pumpkin patch practices and gourd garden grooming.
By koolaidmick
I went to a local farm yesterday to check out pumpkins since the stores don't seem to look too great this year. I almost had a heart attack! Seemed like the average price for one pumpkin was $18 to as high as $50 for largest varieties! (weren't giants either!) The farms pumpkins looked great but that seems really really steep. I typically buy at the grocery store for $5 to $7 each, does it seem like the farm is screwing people or is this average in your guys' experiences?
By sloaner
I just went to a patch on Saturday and ended up paying $17 for one. Its a nice one but ya seemed a bit expensive.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I bought some pretty large pumpkins this year, and even those weren't $18. Mine were around $10 or a bit more, I think? And my grocery store charges around $5-7 also. I buy some "smaller" ones there sometimes ("small" being pretty large to the average person) So that farm you went to seems a bit steep in pricing, to my eyes. But sometimes these beauties don't come cheap.
By koolaidmick
I don't mind spendin' some coin on some nice pumpkins but I'm not lookin' to spend almost $200 on 10 pumpkins. Could this be because of a bad season maybe?
By amandap80
Here in the Midwest, pumpkins are large, cheap and plentiful. It must be location.
By SuperSonic
I've only bought mine for as low as $3, and as high as $5 at my local stores. I don't bother going to patches because of the huge price tag. But I get by each year.

Although I would never pay over $5 for a Pumpkin. To me personally thats ludicrous. I can use the ones the stores have, when picked properly that is.
By koolaidmick
The stores are pretty reasonable, with some thorough digging and a few different stores I manage to get by usually. I work for a grocery store as well so I keep my open every time we get a new batch in, but nothing has seemed too great so far. I also live within 10 miles of two farms who both grow pumpkins. I figured they might be a good alternative. I still have to check out the other farm, so here's for hoping. Supersonic, I envy you.
By koolaidmick
Not sure if you guys have the grocery chain Sprouts in your areas but they have pumpkins 3 for $10, hopefully going to check out the selection soon!
By Ajax
I got mine for $5-$8 really expensive for my area bad crops me thinks.