Show off your pumpkin pics and tells us about the experience.
By Jack Carving
Howdy folks,

I decided to try something a little different this year, each of my new carves will appear photographed in 3 stages:
  • Start
  • Finished
  • Lit
To start off this season, here's my first carve, Claude Rains, The Invisible Man!

(click images for larger view)

Image Image Image

Pattern Source: Orange and Black Pumpkins You probably can't tell from the photos but I was forced to use the more 'rounded' side of the foamie as the flatter side had an irreversible pumpkin sized dent, likely from it resting near the bottom of the bin at Michaels with dozens of foamies piled on top of it. In the end it worked out, but still... I really wish I could remove the darn dent... :(

Anyways, I hope to score some more foamies by this weekend, if I do I will likely carve one of the two Imhotep patterns I have in my binder. :D

Until next time!

~Jack
Last edited by Jack Carving on Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
By maegnus
Great job, Jack! I'll say it worked out indeed :)

I sometimes choose to carve on the rounded side of foamies just to mix it up a bit. It's a slightly different look, but certainly not a bad one.

Great to see that pattern in the flesh--errr--foam :lol:
Thanks for the compliment, maegnus!

Yeah, I am happy with how he turned out! My main concern with carving on the rounded side of the foamies is sometimes if the pattern is too wide the thin lines at the edges of a pattern can appear invisible or much smaller than they really are when the pumpkin is photographed because of the way the pattern wraps around the pumpkin, thankfully this was not the case with the Invisible Man pattern.

I think I saw someone mention in another thread that gemmy pumpkins were on sale at Michaels, so it may just be time to take a trip to Michaels tomorrow! :D
That's the only problem I really have with the Michael's craft pumpkins. They get those weird dents in them and they always seem to be on the flatter side.
By amandap80
Great job! I like the 3 stage photo process as well. What tool are you using to carve?
Thanks for the high praise folks! :D
amandap80 wrote:What tool are you using to carve?
Versa-Tool with Exact-o blade attachment. I've used the Versa-Tool ever since I started carving foamies in 2010, it is quite an amazing tool. Going on three seasons now, and I've yet to replace the Exact-o blade even though last year I bought a replacement pair -just- in case. :)
Back again folks! So tonight I had the urge to carve and decided to open up the new foamie I got from Michaels and look inside... :twisted: Seems there are 'ribs' on both sides, I can only assume these were added to prevent the foamie from getting dented either during shipment or while in a bin. Whatever reason, I suppose I can live with it, and while the color caught me off guard at first :shock: ... it's starting to grow on me.

I had a tough choice to make as to which Imhotep I was going to carve, I thought both patterns were fantastic, but in the end the [redacted] pattern won because it just screamed "Karloff", sorry ZP... :?

(click images for larger view)

Boris Karloff, Imhotep, the Mummy

Image Image Image

Stay tuned folks, my next carve will be a ZP! pattern, I promise! :)
By Ajax
Not really sure what to say. Though technically sound and matching to your previous carve I have to disagree and say Ryan's pattern is superior and has way more wow factor. Guess that's why I hang out in the forum he created and maintains.
By sloaner
Both are nice patterns, very similar. But I like my patterns to match as much as possible, so I will be doing all ZP monsters.
By maegnus
sloaner wrote:Both are nice patterns, very similar. But I like my patterns to match as much as possible, so I will be doing all ZP monsters.
If I was doing a whole set of pumpkins within a specific theme, I'd try to avoid mixing patterns by different artists too. Display a Dali painting at a Monet exhibit and it's going to stand out.

Another great carve, Jack :)
By St0ney
Jack Carving wrote:
I had a tough choice to make as to which Imhotep I was going to carve, I thought both patterns were fantastic, but in the end the [redacted] pattern won because it just screamed "Karloff", sorry ZP... :?

WOW ! :roll:

You should just post your carving, and leave off WHY you decided to carve it.
That's Disrespectful to Ryan and the site your posting on.
St0ney wrote:
Jack Carving wrote:

WOW ! :roll:

You should just post your carving, and leave off WHY you decided to carve it.
That's Disrespectful to Ryan and the site your posting on.
Well said St0ney, some people just don't get it.
By Jack Carving
:o :shock:

...Clearly my posting here is being completely misunderstood. I had no intention to belittle Ryan or his site. Quite the contrary in fact! I have a great respect for Ryan and his work, I think that shows as I have carved more ZP patterns than any other site over the past 2 years I have been a part of this community. I have a particular taste in patterns, and while Ryan has made some incredible patterns, I have on occasion found patterns for my carves off site simply because I liked them more than Ryans, that's not being disrespectful, that's simply being honest... :|

Now it seems I'm being attacked for stating my opinion? What a rather unpleasant side of this community... :?