Show off your pumpkin pics and tells us about the experience.
Izzy (my daughter) 5 yrs has been watching dad carve before she go's to bed for the past few years now...

Just now after I gutted the pumpkin she used the fine blade on the Warren Pro Carving Tool & carved her own Coraline!

Dad traced & talcumed the stencil but beyond that she was pretty much on her own
Dad supported the thinnest bits from behind & with a slow chewing motion (as described to feel the teeth work) she completed her own Coraline stencil in around 50 minutes.
only one slight slip (this was her first time after all & the result is excellent, I have not trimmed anything for her to sharpen lines, it's carved as is.

Parent's please note ..these things are superb in a childs hands if overseen by an adult ready to grab the blade, but with a few simple teaching pressure cuts ...they'll be flying! where pumpkin strencils are concerned.

Will upload asap for ryan to stick on this thread!

Do consider buying a set for kids to use, it made this a simpler & safer affair with excellent results! ..the smallest thinnest blade works well letting your child know the teeth are biting into pumpkin flesh giving them confidence & control in equal amounts
(remember blade teeth in a tiny way, not all the way)!

cheers,
Gus
NB additional info which might help ..having initially thinned the walls & made the stencil lines shine by means of placing my petzl zipka on bright setting in the pumpkin ( the stencil lines which i'd traced lightly with an xacto blade instead of pricking, which I find confuses some children) ..meant there were definite glowing lines for her to follow & cut accordingly, all dad had to do was suggest which cut to make next)
Last edited by GUS on Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
By GUS
OK so it was a quiet night as far as kids were concerned however..
the general concencus was "what a five year old carved that"? ..in part due to my wifes attempt at sorting out a VERY rotten pumpkin (1ST ATTEMPT AT SHADING) whilst Izz carved Coraline.

Now the bad news ..
As it was sat night plenty of parents were dressed up WELL for parties tonight but the overall numbers were therefore down from around the 450 mark to a mere 167 (by the official counter) ....including the girls too afraid to knock twice!
Despite this we still went through 12.5 kg of sweets (it's easy to guage after so many years)
..thoroughly dissapointed though!
thats (TECHNICALLY DOWN) 283 ON LAST YEARS NUMBERS! (DESPITE SCARING SOME KIDS OFF TWICE!
Last edited by GUS on Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
By GUS
PARENTS PARTIES PROLIFERATE, at the hands of kids enjoyment!
By GUS
well I was hiding in next doors lleyandii bush ( watching everyone come up the cul-de-sac) & these girls "tried twice" ... both times ran off screaming! :lol:

..I'll gut you (in deep tones(, they were hyped, Hallowindow really helped psych.
By GUS
yes tomorrow when sober, my neighbours had a puking pumpkin out (so i added LOT's of bottles of empty budweiser every now & again, ....they started with one & a shot!
By GUS
not bad at all but the overall numbers were tremendously disappointing, we used an official click counter to accurately guage visitors whereas previously it was based on glo-sticks left after the night.

I've cropped some (admittedly not the best pics, taken in a hurry on the day amidst other prep, photos) ..submitted to the new format gallery, hopefully ryan can put them to rights & upright them also!

The lady who gleefully told me she'd carved her very 1st pumpkin this year looked a bit taken aback when shown Izzy's carve, think it made her feel bad!

(had to explain it was down in part to good tools rather than hacking with an old bread knife)
By GUS
Thanks for uploading the photo to this years submissions Ryan.
Izzy is super motivated now (having seen her photo) & proclaimed that she's going to carve 10 ...homegrown kins this year so you better watch out!

By SaneInsideInsanity
took ya long enough gus:P
She and coraline are both superbly adorable! Tell her great job
By GUS
Would've taken longer if it'd been left to me, Ryan posted it.

...she's given me her autograph seeing as she's famous now :lol:
(proud & puffed out chested kid that she is) ..you've gotta love em.
By Sam_hain
coralines pattern is already retired?
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Coraline is one of the hidden Bonus Patterns, available to Monster Harvest level members. Still available currently.
By Sam_hain
doh will these be there until the new site launches?? I wanted to join this week but with rent it wasnt happening...but verrrry soon Ill be joining up for monster harvest