Show off your pumpkin pics and tells us about the experience.
So after seeing everyone's great carves, I decided not to wait until the week before Halloween to start carving. I purchased a few foamies from Michael's. Before this, I had never carved a foam pumpkin and had never worked with a hot knife.

My first experience with the hot knife didn't go so well (the parrot). I accidentally burned some of the paint off the face and had trouble adjusting to the speed at which it cut. So, on my second effort (Baby's First), I used a regular Xacto knife. It turned out OK, but the cuts weren't as smooth and it took lots of effort and had to reglue one area.

Determined to get a good carve out of that hot knife, I tried the crow and it turned out great. Oh yeah, I wore a motorcycle glove to keep from burning my fingers...big difference!

My last pumpkin was the small old school design that I did with the hot knife. I did OK, but the design was so small and compact that I had trouble in a couple of areas. Overall it went well, just not as well as with the crow pattern.

I can't wait to start on the real pumpkins!

Last edited by BrookR1 on Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Ajax
Nicely done they all look great I don't see any burn lines, but have had the same issues in the past. I don't really carve foamies anymore because there hard to store and seem to get broken over the years.
By SuperSonic
I love it! Grave 'n' Raven looks spectacular!
By amandap80
These look great, I don't see any burn marks. I struggle with those each year.