Show off your pumpkin pics and tells us about the experience.
By Raven
I started off the year with a simple pattern. When I saw the patterns you get with the Stick 'n Carve I had to buy some because I wanted this moon pattern. These days wondering how I would stage a photo is always on my mind. The moon should be in a starry sky, so that's where I put him.

O.K. so in reality it's black foam board with little blue lights poked through the back.

These lights are really bright and were way too bright in the pictures and everything was blue but they have different settings, one of which was fade, so I waited till they started fading to snap the pic. They don't stay that way for long so I have like 20 pictures trying to get them at just the right light level. :P They look really pretty IRL when bright, not so much in a picture.
Last edited by Raven on Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:50 pm, edited 11 times in total.
By amandap80
Such a cool idea and a great carve, I love that pattern! I plan on getting my pack of stick-n-carve as soon as the shop has the new t-shirts.
By Pumpkinfreak
Nice, looking good Raven!
Great carve!
And the idea for the starry sky is beautiful, I must say, you inspired me with this one :thumbsup:
By monstermash
Gorgeous! My excuse this year for not taking staged pics is because im having a party. It's not because I know I wont manage to live up to your carves and seemingly endless imagination for staging...honest! :wink: :D Great start.
By S.A.M
Fantastic start to the season Raven :) and you managed to capture a nice photo despite lighting difficulties :D
Raven wrote: These lights are really bright and were way too bright in the pictures and everything was blue but they have different settings, one of which was fade, so I waited till they started fading to snap the pic. They don't stay that way for long so I have like 20 pictures trying to get them at just the right light level. :P They look really pretty IRL when bright, not so much in a picture.
You said you had difficulty photographing it and I know what you mean, LEDs can be super bright and will flood a long exposure when you're trying to capture the glow of a pumpkin. A little trick that I use it to make a composite of two pictures of the same subject but with different lighting.
You'll have to ensure everything is locked in position and not moved; pumpkin, background and camera otherwise it'll end up blury.

Take one shot with the LEDs off and the pumpkin lit on a longer exposure to get a nice glowy pumpkin, now take the same shot but with
the background LEDs lit on a much shorter exposure, making sure the photo isn't flooded with light. Open both photos in a photo editing program and layer them up in one image, so one would be the background layer and other would be layer 1. You can then mess around with all kind of blending modes or very simply lower the slider on the opacity of the top layer, lowering it down until you get a nice mix of both images.

You can try doing it in camera too as you did by waiting for the LEDs to fade, some times it works better this way. Take your usual picture with a long exposure but quickly turn off the background LED lights; maybe just a blast of light for a split second whilst the picture is still being took.

I'm not an expert or anything and I hope you don't mind me offering some advice because the picture you took is wonderful :thumbsup: but I know the frustration in taking the same picture 20+ times and thought this little tip might save you some frustration if you use a similar background again :)
By Raven
monstermash wrote:Gorgeous! My excuse this year for not taking staged pics is because im having a party. It's not because I know I wont manage to live up to your carves and seemingly endless imagination for staging...honest! :wink: :D Great start.
I HOPE you are kidding because I so look forward to your pictures each year!
S.A.M wrote:Fantastic start to the season Raven :) and you managed to capture a nice photo despite lighting difficulties :D

A little trick that I use it to make a composite of two pictures of the same subject but with different lighting.
You'll have to ensure everything is locked in position and not moved; pumpkin, background and camera otherwise it'll end up blury.
Thanks! And, HAHAHAHA! I have to laugh because ummm, yeah, layering, blending...not moving. NOT my level of picture taking. :P I've often wanted to do composite pictures, but it's way beyond my current knowledge. Maybe one day I will learn and be able to do it. For now I use my little point and shoot camera or my cell phone. I don't even take the time to use the nice Nikon we own... I appreciate the help though.
By Raven
WINNIE!!

I've wanted to carve this pattern since she first appeared as a V.I.P. a few years ago. The only reason I didn't was because I wanted the spell book as a prop. Finally, this year I got around to making one and then had the idea of staging the photo in front of an old fireplace in an old cabin. After all, the Sanderson Sisters lived in one which was turned into a museum in their honor. Of course, you all know that. The cabin I used was built in 1898 and I was very careful with my candles! I left the 'kin outside the door when I left. Not sure if anyone else will come along and find her, but if not I'm sure she will end up as a late night snack for some kind of creature tonight.

A few other cabin pics.

I left a glow stick in the fireplace as well..

Winifred sitting outside her new home.

By chuckwagon
The crescent moon carve is absolutely beautiful!!! I've got stick-n-carve sitting in my shop basket waiting for the site relaunch so I can get a hoodie, and some new pattern templates with the download codes, specifically because I want THAT PATTERN!!!

And as for the Winifred pattern, it's flawless, but I still hate you for your always superb camera shots :P :lol:
By amandap80
GAHHHHHHHHHHH
Winifred is flawless. I'm tempted to call you a name! :lol:
By Raven
chuckwagon wrote:The crescent moon carve is absolutely beautiful!!! I've got stick-n-carve sitting in my shop basket waiting for the site relaunch so I can get a hoodie, and some new pattern templates with the download codes, specifically because I want THAT PATTERN!!!

And as for the Winifred pattern, it's flawless, but I still hate you for your always superb camera shots :P :lol:
That pattern was the reason I bought the stick n carve. I can't say I'm completely sold on using the stuff yet, but I wanted the pattern bad enough. :D
amandap80 wrote:GAHHHHHHHHHHH
Winifred is flawless. I'm tempted to call you a name! :lol:
Thanks! And go ahead, I've already told a few people here that I hated them this year. :P Of course, I love everyone here, but hate them at the same time... :wink: