Show off your pumpkin pics and tells us about the experience.
By Ajax
Amazing stuff I love your pattern designs, the two guardians are awesome with lots of detail and tight cuts. Price is a stand out as well, thanks for sharing those, you make me want to create a few designs of my own but my graphics days are far behind me.
By nosferatu
Wow! Groot is outstanding. All those thin narrow lines so close together. Beautifully carved. I love Rocket too and your display is fantastic........as always
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Nightwatchman, you sure aren't afraid of carving thin lines. I don't often put details that small in my stencils, because I try to make them sturdy and strong for the novice carvers. But you clearly have the carving skills of a pro, so you know what you can accomplish.

I'm a fan of all the subject matter you chose. Yes, that Groot is amazing, but the tiny zig-zags of Rocket are not small feat either. Even the nose and mouth areas of the Frozen sisters are apt to snap off if you aren't careful, so well done!
By Nightwatchman
Thanks Ryan, I do try to put a lot of thin line detail into the patterns that I make. I know that I am making a pattern that I will be carving and I don't need to keep as much structure in the pumpkin. The carvings don't last as long with thin lines so I usually carve them 1 or 2 days before Halloween. I have been carving for 30 plus years and am now facing some issues with arthritis in my hands so I don't carve as many as I once did, however the Zombie Pumpkin carving tools make the job easier, I especially like the weight of the one with the plastic handle, I just wish that the fine blades were a little longer.
Many times I am surprised when I see that the patterns that you make have the same subject matter as the ones that I make, I think that we have a similar approach to pattern making. You can call me old school, but I prefer the look of a cut out jack-o-lantern to a shaded or sculpted pumpkin, it takes a keen eye to develop cut out patterns that work without just adding extra lines for stability, you are one of a very few people with this vision and ability.
OK I'm done sucking up, isn't it about time for a sneak peek of this years mascot or theme?
By Pumpken
How did I miss this post? These carves are fantastic.

I think I have told you this, but your "BEWARE" sign is one of my favorite patterns of all time. The way you did that with the this old house sign is way cool. I am glad they appreciated it.

I have often told myself I need to figure out how to make sign patterns, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe this year.

Happy carving!
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Nightwatchman wrote:the Zombie Pumpkin carving tools make the job easier, I just wish that the fine blades were a little longer.
You and me both. Longer detail blades just aren't readily available, and we haven't found a cost effective way to produce our own just yet. In the meantime, I always suggest that people scrape the pumpkin wall thin enough to make sure the blade will pass through. Of course, with detailed designs like yours, having a thinner pumpkin shell will only further shorten their lifespan.
Nightwatchman wrote:it takes a keen eye to develop cut out patterns that work without just adding extra lines for stability, you are one of a very few people with this vision and ability.
Very kind of you to say so! If anyone understands what it takes to make a cut-through pattern, it would be you. You're right, it's a fun challenge to make a stencil that is stable, but without adding weird lines purely for connecting things. That's what makes it feel like an art form to me. It's always a rewarding feeling to figure out the riddle that is pumpkin pattern creation.
By SuperSonic
I haven't the slightest clue how I missed this thread in the past. But I can say without a doubt in my mind that your work on these is outstanding! Fantastic job! can't wait to see what you bring to the table this year! :thumbsup:
By amandap80
I somehow missed these last year; you do absolutely astounding work. Fantastic!