Show off your pumpkin pics and tells us about the experience.
Raven wrote:Your pictures are so crisp and wonderful. What kind of camera do you use? One day I'm going to get a good camera..one day. I sorta already own one,(D200 I think) but it came to us used from my father in law and unfortunately I really don't know how to use it. :(
Sorry if you have been asked this 100 times before.
Thanks Raven :) I don't mind being asked at all, I use a digital compact; Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX60. It's got a couple of ace night modes; Night Scenery which, dependant on available light can give you 2 - 7 second exposure time and Starry Sky has 15, 30 and 60 seconds exposure presets. I use a mix of these settings + external light sources to get the right balance of light in the picture :)
By Ajax
Not much else to say your photos are great, and I need a better camera. The biggest compliment I can give is I love what you did with the facehugger pattern it really adds to it. I would love to do mine that way but time and the amount of cuts I can make are running out. Hope to see more and can't wait for the stair shot.
Awesome pictures SAM. I also planned on doing that with the face hugger tail before I saw your picture, looks great I'll have to copy you :D And I also have a Lumix camera, seems to get the job done.
By eck thas a great video SAM. I do like a Yorkshire accent but don't tell my Lincolnshire kinfolk, they'd disown me :P
Another lot of gorgeous carves, the lighting is warm, just perfect.
Busy day but I finished early and managed to get some Halloween decorations up ready for tomorrow and I had time to play around with my projector, camera and pumpkins tonight so I hope you're ready for a picture blow out :lol:

In space no one can hear you scream;

Took these 'kins to Warren Valley, Ohio & this grumpy guy didn't like us rolling up in a school bus. What's his problem eh?

He posed for a photo & liked that I carved his likeness in to a pumpkin but still wanted some candy, he got some;

One of today's new carves, what an ugly little spud indeed;

This place freaked me out:

Couldn't resist this one:

The amount of pumpkins I filled the house with this evening it truly was The House of the Zombie Pumpkins!

You should have seen me trying to take these pictures, projector and laptop on a ironing board in the kitchen and me having to manually shutter the projector lens with a DVD case to make sure I let out just enough light for a decent exposure as the camera timer beeped it's countdown :lol: It was madness!

Halloween tomorrow, so excited to see everything come together, to hand out candy and see some awesome costumes. It's going to be unseasonally warm too, around 20°C which they reckon may be the warmest Halloween on record, might wear my shorts and give everyone a good scare! Hope you all have fun tomorrow and stay safe, it's going to be wicked!
:o :o :o :o
Stunning. spot on everytime. I might have to nip down to see your set up tomorrow. Should only take me six hours by car. :)

I sometimes wonder myself what on earth im doing when trying to get the perfect amount of light etc into a picture. A torch in both hands and one in my mouth, balancing on one leg and taking the picture with the other. Well, not quite but it feels like it sometimes. How we suffer for our art. I don't think we'd have it any other way though. :)

I hope you get plenty of ToT'ers tomorrow, I think it's supposed to be dry for us too so I may see one or two as well. I've a few poundshop sweets lying around if any do turn up. Last of the big spenders me!
Thanks guys :)
monstermash wrote::o :o :o :o
Stunning. spot on everytime. I might have to nip down to see your set up tomorrow. Should only take me six hours by car. :)

I sometimes wonder myself what on earth im doing when trying to get the perfect amount of light etc into a picture. A torch in both hands and one in my mouth, balancing on one leg and taking the picture with the other. Well, not quite but it feels like it sometimes. How we suffer for our art. I don't think we'd have it any other way though. :)

I hope you get plenty of ToT'ers tomorrow, I think it's supposed to be dry for us too so I may see one or two as well. I've a few poundshop sweets lying around if any do turn up. Last of the big spenders me!
Well you're more than welcome but bring some props with you & be prepared to hand out some treats to the little tykes :) However my little haunt probably isn't worth a 6hr drive :) You just described exactly what I do with the lights, I bet it looks odd to anyone who doesn't know what's going on, a strange dance of blue, green and orange lights being waved about :lol:

I'm hoping for plenty of trick or treaters too, I've got way too many sweets + a box of 90 Kit-kats, it would be a terrible shame not to hand them all out and have the horror of eating them myself :D
Love the pics so far and the video. But, come on, where is it? You know what I'm talking about!

Your pics always look fantastic but its the stair shot I'm always jealous of.
Firs and foremost I want to thank you all for your very kind comments throughout this thread, you all rock!
nosferatu wrote:Love the pics so far and the video. But, come on, where is it? You know what I'm talking about!

Your pics always look fantastic but its the stair shot I'm always jealous of.
Oh dear, I'm sorry to disappoint you but there is no stairs shot this year :( I just just couldn't face carrying the pumpkins up and down two flights of stairs :(

Post-Halloween update.
I started setting up the display outside at about 10:30 am and it was so warm it was strange, the warmest UK Halloween on record! It was perfect and stayed mild throughout the night if a little breezy later on.

As I was setting up the garden kids would come to the gate to see what was happening, they were all happy and excited to tell me what they'd be coming trick or treating as. It was really nice just to hear how excited they were about Halloween. I'm hoping that what I've been doing is going to help encourage others to make the effort for Halloween, the neighbours next door but one did put some jack-o'-lanterns in their windows and some decorations by the door.

This Halloween was the best one, not only weather wise but atmosphere and general feeling of the night. I lost count of how many trick or treaters we had but it must have been a record, everyone was happy and having fun. Saw some great costumes; 2 Jason's, 1 Freddy Krueger, a bumble bee, an awesome werewolf, many witches + skeletons and zombie everything from school girls to a construction worker!

Everyone was full of admiration for the display and pumpkins, Elsa and Olaf were predictably the favourites of the night amongst the younger kids, Michael Myers and the Xenomorph + Facehugger with the older ones. I'm reliably informed that the garden was 'sick' which means cool or something.

Take a Kit-Kat and choose one from the other bowl:
The terrifying trifle was for guests and the cupcakes for family + friends who came trick or treating. I lost count of how many times I had to refill the treat bowls, all 90 kit-kats went, well 85 (kept a pack for myself).

Trick or Treat supplies:

Some friends brought their daughter trick or treating, she'd had her pumpkin smashed earlier when they left it on the doorstep, she's only 5 and was quite upset :( So I sent over Elsa and Olaf, to say she was happy is an understatement :lol:

It was a bit breezy later on so it was difficult getting photos of the hanging decorations.

Wicked witch:

Window display as I didn't want to run the projector.

Spiked heads:

Pumpkins and Halloween tree:

Halloween tree:

So that was Halloween 2014, I hope you all had a great time. I was run off my feet, it was a long day but I loved every second of it; a perfect Halloween :thumbsup:

What? I told you there is no stairs shot, sorry :(

Don't be looking down here for it Nos.

Ahh you knew it:

I can't wait to do it all again next year, thanks again to everyone in the ZP community for helping make Halloween what it is :D