Show off your pumpkin pics and tells us about the experience.
Boy, it took me a while to sort through my pumpkin photos this year. I think I took more than usual. Plus, photos of my costumes, pumpkin suit, Halloween decorations, and other things. Lots of photos (some I've yet to share, stay tuned). But now... on with the pumpkin show!

Some of these were carved by my mom. But since I perform their final touch ups and then photograph them, I'm taking partial credit here. :wink:

She warmed up with the Face of the Minions. A jack 'o lantern face is the ideal sort of design to make use of the pumpkin vine arms. Here you can see that he's ready to help carve more pumpkins. And he is clutching a "pumpkin patch" of his own face.

Then she did The Mummy. I love this design, but regret that I haven't carved it yet. I've been meaning to add him to my foam pumpkin collection. But this year, he came alive in a real pumpkin. Here he is, emerging from the Egyptian tomb:

It's been a big year for Sleepy Hollow for me, having visited the town earlier this year. My mom paid respects to the Hollow with this Hessian Horseman. Posed with my new horseman statue.

And here's an alternate shot, with the Sleepy Hollow Scarecrow Jack design:

Then my mom asked if she could carve Victor Crowley. She has no idea who he is, but knows I have a real hatchet, which made for a fitting photo prop! Oh, and my horseman and hatchet photos use one of those plastic backdrops for a background. Thanks for the idea Raven (same one you used on your Hessian photo, I think)

Speaking of stealing ideas... I mean, taking inspiration from... I sort of borrowed your idea for this next one, Mesmark. I thought it was genius to have Mike and Sulley being scared by Boo's shadow. Here she is coming through the closet doorway, appropriately enough (in reality, she was cut out of card stock, and projected with a pumpkin light).

Mike and Sulley were popular with the kids. I placed those pumpkins on a low porch step during trick-or-treat hours, so the wee ones could see them at child-height. We had a few kids come dressed as the Monsters Inc/University guys actually. I said things like, "Hey, Mike Wazowski, I knew you were coming, so I carved a pumpkin of you!" The parents of all of these kids had the same idea to pose their kid next to the matching pumpkin, to take a photo. A photo taken with a cell phone using the camera's flash. :roll: But I'm sure they'll cherish the memory evoked by the lousy photo. :)

I always like to carve my unique creations, and the Grave 'n' Raven was my favorite from this year. Had to carve this one next. I knew I had a lot of raven/crow props handy, but I sort of forgot that it's tricky to photograph objects that are black, when the lights are mostly turned off.

I also had some pirate/skull props close by, so I carved the Ghost Pirate. This was the last carving I did, so he was a bit rushed. It was Halloween afternoon, and I still had to carve this pirate, photograph him, put my pumpkins on display, and put on my Halloween costume (with face makeup). In my haste, I broke off one of the crossbones in this captain's hat logo. But as we know, toothpicks can work miracles.

And now bear with me during this flood of Frankenstein imagery, but the good doctor and his monsters were a big part of my Halloween. :frank:

The monster looming over his pumpkin likeness:

And his beautiful bride with her portrait:

The monster and his mate together. What you can't really appreciate from this photo... the hassle it was to position two 20 lb pumpkins (and lit candles) to a height of about 6 feet off the floor, to line up with the hanging portraits which are firmly attached to the wall.

And then these two creations in a laboratory setting. This one was fun to shoot. It was quite an evolution, as I kept grabbing more bottles and colored lights, before eventually ending up with this photo. I think it's my favorite of the year:

I had to get a photo of Frankenstein's Monster and The Mummy together, for comparison sake. They were both played by the uncanny Karloff, after all:

In case you wanted to read that entire sign behind them, you can see it here:

A group shot of 5. Mike, Sulley, Mummy, Minions, Frank. The rear two pumpkins are propped on plates on adjustable speaker stands. A novel approach, I thought.

After their big night on display, the pumpkins hang out under the skeleton tree. It was raining, which the pumpkins liked. The droplets look pretty cool.

My cousin also contributed pumpkins to the display (Minion, Weeping Angel, Jim Morrison, Rick Grimes), which put the total around 14 real pumpkins. I didn't get a group shot of all of them, sadly. But here's one final group shot of most of the class of 2013.

As usual, the guests and trick-or-treaters had great reactions to the pumpkins. I heard someone say, "This is the house with the pumpkins." It's nice to have that reputation.
By nosferatu
You are not the Patchmaster for no reason. The evidence is all here. I adore the FM looking over his likeness. I haven't worked out how you achieved it but I just bask in ints glory. Truly awesome.

Mike and Sully were really popular here too and boy do I wish I had thought of doing that back shadow. It looks stunning. Face of The minions is just wicked. I wasn't very keen on the arms and legs but in this instance, they look amazing although the blade on the Pro Carving tool is way too clean and gleaming. It should be like mine, all bent, buckled and rusty.

The Sleepy Hollow kins are stunning as is the Mummy. Speaking if mummies, yours has great taste but just doesn't know it. The Victor Crowley carve is spectacular. I think he has proven a surprise hit pattern wise.

Props, lighting and positioning are always first class. I agree that the rain drops on the pumpkins look great. Another effect to consider if not using electric lights that are not insulated. I could go on and will inevitably do so when you add more. After 11 years, I reckon you have more than enough photos now for the Zombie Pumpkins! Book.

When I look at Grave n Raven photo, I have never seen better online or in a magazine, anywhere. For that I thank you. It is truly inspiring stuff. Year on year, the minions are catching up with your photos but every Halloween you always pull further ahead. Gives us all something to aspire too.

The only downside of the site is that you don't get to carve more and that is such a shame. Next year have all the patterns ready by end of September because I want more!

Outstanding. I raise a glass to you. Cheers Ryan!
By purple1worm
Wow great job on all of them! :thumbsup: I really like the minion with vine arms. Love the props, specially :frank: and bride with portraits. The Horseman, grave'n'raven and ghost pirate are of my faves this year. Great group pics too!
By Ajax
Great use of lighting in all your photos they are all very colourful and well lit. Your props are as always used very well. From the arms on minion to the portraits of Frankenstein's monster and his bride. Where did you ever find those? My faves are sulley and mike with boo shadow, this is a technique I'm seeing more and more of but this is the best I've seen it pulled off. Any chance of getting a tutorial on that technique? Another favorite of mine is Frankenstein's monster the way you lit up his face is brilliant it's like he's in the room almost 3d like, not sure how you pulled that off. I had no idea you had such an extensive collection of crows :wink: the photo looks great. Another thing I enjoy about your photos and have tried to mimic in the past is your ability to give life to your pumpkins with hands and weapons it works great with victor Crowley and minion jack o lantern. Not sure if I would have had those candles so close to your nice portraits pretty brave. Nice group shots and the rain looks awesome.

As always the bar has been raised, minions are getting closer and closer but your photos always seem to outshine even the best. I think a book of your photos even a post card book would sell out in the shop quickly. I'd buy one. I'm disappointed you didn't carve evil ash because I would have loved to have seen what you would have come up with and I think he was your best pattern for this season. Thank you for the amazing patterns, amazing Halloween memories and great photos can't wait to see more and I live here 365 days a year not only Halloween so if you have patterns in the pipeline I'll be watching.
By monstermash
Just terrible, awful, no skill whatsoever. :wink: :P

You are a pumpkin genius Ryan. Every year I am blown away by you're talents in carving, lighting, composition, and photography. Oh, and you're not too bad at pattern design either. You're mum really does have a great eye for patterns and a steady hand for carving. If I had to pick a favourite picture it would be the one with the Frankenstein's Monster looming over himself in pumpkin form. The lighting on the picture is beautiful.

I totally appreciate the lengths you go to for a picture. It can be very tricky getting the pumpkin where you need it or getting the lighting or props in the right place.
By amandap80
I so look forward to your pumpkin pictures each year; the skill, the magic. Superb! The lighting is flawless, the settings fantastic. Truly wonderful! :thumbsup:
By Bravo020
What an absolutely incredible pumpkin display, the carves are exquisite, the photography is exceptional, the props are brilliant and the lighting is perfection.

I must...I must...I must try harder next year.....!
By S.A.M
As Nos. said you're not the Patch Master for no reason! Yours and your mum's carves are spectacular! Fantastic selection of patterns perfectly carved. We both did new Frankenstein's Monster and Bride and took a similarish picture but you got the infinitely better ones, I just love the picture of FM looming over his pumpkin, the portrait looks real; you could almost be forgiven for thinking that was actually someone stood over the pumpkin & not a picture.

Mike and Sulley with Boo's shadow brilliant :lol: I do love a good group shot and yours gathered around the skeleton tree look supurb! Then there is laboratory scene which is pure brilliance, with the props; hand in the jar and are those other things eye balls or pickled eggs...mmm I'm peckish now :lol: How did you manage to use the plastic backdrops so well with Hessian Horseman? I've always had trouble with them reflecting my lighting so now I use the cloth ones which has limited my choices.

Overall a brilliant show as usual Ryan :thumbsup: I miss Halloween :cry:
By Raven
I have been putting off commenting on your pictures because I just don't know what to say. I'm amazed, inspired and jealous all rolled into one. THIS is how I imagine my pictures looking in my head before I actually take them. The lighting just blows me away. It's so perfect in each picture! The photo's are so crisp and your carvings always so clean. Your props are simple yet so effective and a perfect match for each carve. I love the one of Frankenstein's Monster and the portrait behind him. It really does look like he is really there looking down at his own pumpkin. And the shadow of Boo... I can't get over that shadow!

Great job to you and your mom! I love that she carves as well! :thumbsup:

Now stop being so darn perfect! :P
By mesmark
Great job on those and I'm surprised you have the time to set up all of those photos. I love the fall leaves you have there under them. I'm with Raven on the Frankenstein portrait looking down over the pumpkin. If you didn't know if was a portrait, you might not notice the slight hint of the frame.

Nice job with the Boo shadow. I like that you have it behind them. When I thought of doing that, I had just imagined her opening a door in front of them. That works well for the Sulley pattern, but Mike looks better running away.

The arms on the minion make him look awesome!

Congrats on another Halloween down and successful carving year! :pirate: