Show off your pumpkin pics and tells us about the experience.
Thanks everyone, for the kind words. A few replies...
Ajax wrote:...the portraits of Frankenstein's monster and his bride. Where did you ever find those?
The portraits are by artist Daniel Horne. I had them professionally framed as a Halloween 2013 gift to myself. Hand carved frames, iridescent linen spacers, UV-protected anti-glare museum glass. Prized art pieces in my collections, I must say. Here are a couple shots of the trio of portraits, which also include the Count.

Ajax wrote:My faves are sulley and mike with boo shadow... any chance of getting a tutorial on that technique?

I can do more elaborate tutorials on my techniques later, but this photo below should show you the basics of the Boo shadow. Basically... I drew a shape of Boo in a doorway on the computer, and printed it onto a piece of card stock. Then used an x-acto blade to cut out the shape to make a stencil. When photographing my Mike/Sulley pumpkins (with the camera on a tripod) I held the card stock stencil above the camera, and with my other free hand I aimed an LED pumpkin light at it. The shape was projected on the wall behind my pumpkins.

It might take several tries to get the position and size just right. You need to experiment with the distance between the light and the stencil... and between the stencil and the wall... until the projected shape becomes the size you want it to be. For my photo, I made sure that the shadow of the piece of card stock filled the entire frame of the photo, so you couldn't see the edges of the card, which would spoil the trick.
S.A.M wrote:How did you manage to use the plastic backdrops so well with Hessian Horseman? I've always had trouble with them reflecting my lighting so now I use the cloth ones which has limited my choices.
I attached the plastic backdrop to the wall with many pieces of tape, trying to make it as taut and flat as possible. And when positioning lights, I just had to keep moving them around and aiming them in different ways until I saw no glare on the plastic (using the camera viewfinder to make sure there were no reflections seen).
monstermash wrote:I totally appreciate the lengths you go to for a picture. It can be very tricky getting the pumpkin where you need it or getting the lighting or props in the right place.
mesmark wrote:Great job on those and I'm surprised you have the time to set up all of those photos.
I must say, the photo shoot setup and lighting is really a crazy mad dash, usually done in the wee hours on Halloween morning. Here's a "behind the scenes" shot of my "studio" during a photo shoot. I photograph all of my pumpkins, back to back. So for each shot, it's just a matter of wildly and imaginatively moving tables, props, and candles until I like what I see through the camera's viewfinder. The room becomes a mess, but the final photos I show look clean, so the work is worth it.

Oh, and I have a few more carving photos to share for 2013.

For Thanksgiving I carved Tonto, which we displayed during my family's feast.

For the Christmas season I made this new tree topper. The foam pumpkin/gourd was bought at Michaels three years ago. I free-handed the carving on it. It reminded me of Oogie Boogie, so I painted the stem to look like a Tim Burton snake, and added a hanging spider.

And for Christmas with my family, I carved Clark Griswold from National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. I bet there weren't many REAL carved pumpkins on display in people's homes on Christmas. I'm glad I still had a good pumpkin left over.

"Is your house on fire, Clark?"
"No, Aunt Bethany, that's the Christmas jack 'o lantern."

By late in the evening, Clark was drinking from his moose mug. Pumpkin flavored eggnog, naturally.

Clark looks awesome! It's amazing you found the time to carve it with all the craziness during Christmas. I love that movie!

"Where do you think you're going? Nobody's leaving. Nobody's walking out on this fun, old-fashioned family Christmas. No, no. We're all in this together. This is a full-blown, four-alarm holiday emergency here. We're gonna press on, and we're gonna have the hap, hap, happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby tap-danced with Danny f@#king Kaye. And when Santa squeezes his fat white @ss down that chimney tonight, he's gonna find the jolliest bunch of @ssholes this side of the nuthouse". - Clark Griswold :lol:
Both amazing love the patterns photos and carves. The tree topper looks great. Wish I could have carved Clark but near Xmas I went to check on two Kins I'd been storing and they were rotted through never have any luck with keeping them until christmas :( . I still want a Scrooge and John Mcclane but I'll take a pierce Hawthorne. Glad to finally see tonto carved love it with crow head topper.
Amazing pictures Ryan, but the one of Clark and the moose glass? SO GOOD. Just fills me with festive joy. I introduced my wife to that move and she LOVES it, it's such a tradition for us now to sit down before Christmas and make time for it. I'll have to do my best to save a pumpkin for that pattern this year! :thumbsup: