Show off your pumpkin pics and tells us about the experience.
That indeed looked like fun. Seems these mini-minions have some talent! Great carves from everyone :)
Awesome! Looks like you print out a bunch of patterns for them to pick from? How does the decision process work? Do you pick easy-ish patterns, of characters you think they'll know? And let them pick what they want to do?

You're training the next generation... in English and pumpkin carving. With those two skills, they'll be able to be my future customers! :wink:
That is probably the most heartwarming pic of the year!! To see the kids getting the chance to pick their own pattern, and carve out a ZP! themselves... HOW FUN!!!

I don't want to sound culturally insensitive, but is Halloween celebrated there in the way or as in depth as we do in the States or the UK?? If not, was this carving party a way to let the kids have that sort of experience? I think it's just absolutely magical!! Love these pics!! Thanks for posting!
chuckwagon wrote:I don't want to sound culturally insensitive, but is Halloween celebrated there in the way or as in depth as we do in the States or the UK?? If not, was this carving party a way to let the kids have that sort of experience? I think it's just absolutely magical!! Love these pics!! Thanks for posting!
Thanks! I think they had a good time.

Halloween is getting bigger and bigger here, but so far there isn't a trick-or-treat tradition, and whatever the Halloween event might be, it's usually held on a weekend before or after the 31st. For the main part, there are a lot of little halloween toys and decorations around in stores. Costumes and small accessories are showing up more and more each year, so I assume a few people are having Halloween dress up parties. This year, for the first time, I'm hearing kids say they're having home Halloween parties. Sounds like they just get dressed up and might eat some sweets and/or candy.

A few places across Japan have festival type street parades. Some are huge. There are food booths and stalls set up for carnival type games. Then at some point all the people in costume walk through the festival. That's not the norm, but they do exist. There's one like that about an hour from my house, but I'm too busy with my own party and stuff to attend.
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:Awesome! Looks like you print out a bunch of patterns for them to pick from? How does the decision process work? Do you pick easy-ish patterns, of characters you think they'll know? And let them pick what they want to do?
Yeah, I just go through the site and print off some of the smiling jacs, cute characters, and easier Halloween designs. This year, there were only 8 people making pumpkins and mostly younger children. In previous years people have tried more difficult patterns. One young adult came and she did the Count. Another problem is I don't have a lot of time. The carving party is 1.5 hours and often parents drop their kids off. So, I'm running all over the place (luckily it's a small garage.)

It was a good time and the people were really excited about how their pumpkins turned out. A few asked me, "Do we really get to take these home?" and they were jump-up-and-down happy when I said yes and please take a couple of mine. :pirate: :thumbsup:
Love these pictures, absolutely love them. Everyone seems really into carving and ever so proud of their carvings. I've said before I love your style of photo journalism. It really tells a story. 8)