Show off your pumpkin pics and tells us about the experience.
By Joey
Woah I am really late with this thread. But I've been pretty slow with the pumpkins this year. Definitely in a bit of a funk. But there's no stopping some of these carves!

No watermelon carves this summer due to moving, so right onto the pumpkins:

Starting off with something pirate themed, of course. I was worried that this would be my last pirate carve for awhile, but I think I'm good for next year too now :)

And then one from Jammin Pumpkins, Link from Twilight Princess. I've been on such a huge Zelda kick this year, it had temporarily replaced Pokemon in my heart.

Image Image Image
And then for the new games got released a little over a week ago and is now right back where it should be, sorry Zelda. I stayed up all night carving these three for the release day, it's the three starting pokemon of the new generation: Chespin, Fennekin, and Froakie. Fennekin's my favorite out of the three and I think the pumpkin turned out the best.

And then this last weekend I made another fantasy book pumpkin, based off of The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. My friend and fellow fan of the book drew up the pattern and then fell asleep on my couch while I carved it :lol:

I've got more planned and a pile of pumpkins sitting in my dining room, just need to work up that pumpkin motivation. I'm also having some camera problems this year, all my pictures are turning out way more grainy than usual and it's making me sad. I think I'm going to ask for an upgrade this Christmas.
Last edited by Joey on Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
By chuckwagon
That's pretty awesome stuff! I love the fantasy themed carve!! It looks like it was kinda painstaking with the lute strings, and all of those individual notes!! Really great job!!
By Ajax
Amazing :!: love link I wish Ryan would do one. Your style is awesome as usual hope to see more. :thumbsup:
By Joey
Thanks everyone! I would love a Zombie Pumpkins style Link to death! It would be an insta carve for sure. But JP's pattern is pretty darn awesome as well, and it's great that there's at least one Link pattern out there :)

As for Kvothe, the lute strings weren't too bad, I just had to be really really careful. The secret is that they're not actually cut through, it's all one big chunk with grooves cut in, like a super clustered version of the kind of lines I use on the pokemon bodies for example. But those notes were the real pain in the butt! They are the main reason the whole carve took 9 hours I think.

Speaking of Kvothe, I have actually switched the picture with a new one I took tonight when I was determined to sort out the camera photos. A bit of digging found that the graininess was caused by a higher ISO setting. Fix that and all my pictures are good again! Thankfully I still had this one stashed in my fridge and he was able to come back to life well after a few hours soaking in the sink. I'm suddenly feeling a lot better about this season now that I know that I can get nice pictures of all my hard work :D
By SuperSonic
Envious of your Froakie carve! Love them all though. Think you could do Pumpkaboo next? Great work! :thumbsup:
By Joey
Thanks again guys! One of these years I will definitely do something weird and not my style just to freak everyone else out, but that year is not this year! I do have some good ones from the past week though :D

Also in some awesome news, my Kvothe pumpkin ended up getting a Daily Deviation over on Deviantart. (For those who don't know, it's a daily site wide feature picked out by the staff of the site.) It's pretty rare to see any pumpkin carvings at all get those, so I freaked out when I saw mine there this year.

5 more from the past week. I think I have gotten slower this year since pretty much all of them took longer than expected. But I'm happy with the results:

My usual haunted house, from a Pumpkin Masters pattern again this year. Didn't turn out too terribly, but I think I should have shaded the moon and left the bat solid instead. Ah well, hindsight.

And some MLP:FiM because I wanted to get something done on time for the big Equestria Daily post this year. Went with my favorite background pony, Derpy.

Image Image
And I couldn't get away without carving Jareth the Goblin King and a matching owl from Pumpkin Masters. I have watched Labyrinth way too many times this week since I finally bought the DVD. I was thinking of just cutting through the whole thing for Jareth but when I decided to shade the owl I shaded his hair too so they would match better. This led to a projection of Jareth's face on my door while I was waiting for Trick or Treaters.

And then I went nuts on this Majora's Mask, from the Legend of Zelda game of the same name. I estimate it took 12 hours, but I really don't have an accurate count other than I watched a total of 8 movies while carving it. I will be honest, I underestimated how crazy this carve was going to be. All those shading levels. The entire carving process is still a blur.

Overall a pretty good Halloween. I didn't get any trick or treaters at my new apartment, which made me kind of sad, but I have a ton of candy that's all mine now. And of course, there are still 7 more pumpkins waiting to be carved ;)
By Ajax
They all look incredible but majoras mask is amazing :thumbsup: I'm a big Zelda fan as well and can appreciate the design and that is the coolest pumpkin I've seen in a while. Well worth the 12 hours I would say.
By amandap80
I love the owl with Jareth, great idea and wonderful carves!