Show off your pumpkin pics and tells us about the experience.
Oh my goodness!! That is quite the pumpkin crew you have there! I love that stair shot, and the carves are all amazing! You have such clean lines. How do you transfer?
amandap80 wrote:Oh my goodness!! That is quite the pumpkin crew you have there! I love that stair shot, and the carves are all amazing! You have such clean lines. How do you transfer?
Thank you, I transfer in advance using saral paper and then go over it in marker so none of the image smudges off during gutting. I get a few people victims to help me gut and do all the pumpkins at once usually three days before Halloween. The next two days I carve the already predawn faces and sometimes need to thin the walls a bit more. Usually I'm to stubborn and if the walls are to thick I carve anyways but it's a lot harder with a detailed pattern. When I'm done carving I just run water on the face for 5 minutes and take a saw and cut out any access, I never use to do this step and it makes a ton of difference. I think it's a process most have adopted here besides taking a marker after saral transfer. I ended up not using the paper from the shop just because my pumpkins are so big a 8/11 pattern would be useless (Ryan please get 11/17 for next year) .
A couple more for the road. :thumbsup: Or atleast until thanksgiving. I had an idea for boglins which i didn't really pull off but i'll post anyways.

Best Friends :thumbsup:

Last edited by Ajax on Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Way to go, Ajax! Suitable props... the cereal boxes with their mascots. The grave 'n' Grave 'n' Raven. Skull with Evil Ash. Good use of colored lights. You know I appreciate that sort of thing.

That shots on the stairs are awesome! I really need to photograph my group shots like this! Although, I didn't have as many as you! It reminds me of what they say about zombie movies. One zombie isn't threatening but when they gather together as a tight horde, that's when you're really in trouble!

I appreciate the closeups of your group shots too. In those clear closeups, I can see the accuracy of your carvings. I'm glad you've taken to the method doing a little final touchup while giving them a rinse at the end. Really does help, doesn't it?

I like to see how they are arranged. In some cases, similar themes together (like all your zombies). But sometimes, you end up with a Minion chilling with Gandalf, or Bowser hatching an sneaky plan with Evil Ash.

Happy to see you carving Evil Ash, by the way. And so pleased to see him face to face with regular Ash. Perfect. I like your caged Boglin, good thought! I haven't seen many carved Boglins, so thanks for doing that.

Oh, and it looks like you took some care in choosing which designs to put on which pumpkins. Many are a perfect fit. Wider designs on wider pumpkins, and things like that. And it seems you resized them to fit well.

So I'm looking at your photos of Daryl with the walker and immediately I think... I see the fence. And that looks like a prison. Then I realize, it IS a prison!? Wow. Nothing could be more fitting. Awesome job! I'm glad you stayed safe on the correct side of the chain link.

I'm amazed that you did so many yourself. Carving a design that is enlarged can be easier, in some respects, because the details are not as small. But believe me, I know how much work it can be overall, to scoop out a massive pumpkin, and lug it around several times for photos and display outside. I appreciate your efforts.

Congrats on a great show this year. The quantity is great, but don't stress about that. Even if you do a smaller amount next year, they'll look great. And you'll have extra time to do more cool photos. And your hands won't be as sore. :lol: