Show off your pumpkin pics and tells us about the experience.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I always say this about Pinhead fans... they must derive pleasure from pain. How fitting to attempt this pattern then. And I hope you think it was worth the effort. I took a close look, and you get my seal of approval!

One of the harder aspects of this design is keeping all the lines on his face relatively the same width. If you start veering off course, you could slice through to the other side and lose part of his iconic facial grid. But you... if you'll pardon the pun... nailed it.
By Pumpken
Nice job Chuck.

Just out of curiosity, do you use a flexible shaft with your dremel. If not, I would highly suggest it. It will make carving much easier.

You might also check out the bits at Harbor Freight. You can get ones to do the tiniest pieces (you just have to be careful not to break them).

By chuckwagon
I don't have a flex shaft for my dremel yet so it was all done with my bulky cordless. Usually it doesn't bother me, but I guess this particular pinhead pattern really took it's toll, lol. I do have some of the harbor freight bits, but the cutting surface on all of them are only about 1/2 inch long, and the smooth part of the shafts are sometimes bigger than the area I'm trying to carve, so I have to compromise alot. I need to take a trip and see what all bits they have available though so I can get better results. I am limited on carving bits, so it would behoove me to do some shopping.

Thanks for all the nice comments guys! I always enjoy sharing and seeing all the photos from y'all too!!
By SuperSonic
Great job Chuck. That must have taken some time.
Took a smaller foamie to the beach with me this past weekend, and knocked out the Lovecraft stencil at night when I had some free time. I have really been wanting to carve this for a looong time, and finally got my chance when Ryan re-issued the stencil (Thanks again Patch Master!!). I'm thinking of adding his life span on each side of the pattern when I find a font that I really like. I also re-sized the stencil to 75% to make it fit, and that kinda made the more tedious sections a little testy, but never the less the spirit of The Old Ones came to me, and I now have my literary hero forever enshrined!
By SuperSonic
Fantastic carve Chuckwagon! Good to see you got a pattern you wanted before the site launch! It's also kind of great to see these patterns revived once in a while. Some die off like others, and some find their way back to the pumpkins.

Seems like it would have been annoying to carve those eyes while shrinking it down 25%.

Again great work :)
By chuckwagon
SuperSonic wrote:Seems like it would have been annoying to carve those eyes while shrinking it down 25%.
Yeah, the eyes, and that one really thin hair line up top... It was totally worth it though. Like Pinhead, I have a few slight little touch ups I'm needing to do, but considering I downsized this stencil to 3/4 the size, i'm not complaining, LoL.
Chuck, it didn't take you long to carve this one! :) Looks cool. I'm glad you and Howard have finally met in this form.

When I design the patterns, I print them to get an idea of how they will look at their intended normal size. During this testing phase I'll sometimes change the shapes or thicken lines to make sure each design is possible at the standard printed size. So if you choose to reduce the pattern, I can't be held responsible if you descend into madness with now finer details. :lol:

But like you, I've also shrunk patterns to fit on those "medium" foam pumpkins. I did an Edgar Allan Poe in that size (on a black pumpkin) and I'm thinking of doing a whole series of Grave Icons carvings on that size 'kin.
By pagemaster1993
Looks great Chuck. You just keep doing good work. Really can't wait to see what will be coming next.
By purple1worm
Great job on Pinhead! That one is definitely a hard one! I love the H. P Lovecraft. I'd like to carve him too this year!
By chuckwagon
Thanks for all the great feedback guys!! Right now I have two blank pumpkins left. A small and medium Funkin. I'm thinking about the Samhain stencil for the medium, but haven't figured out what to do with the small one yet. I plan on getting at least 3 or 4 more for this year, and have a few ideas for what I'm gonna carve. I'm heading up to Ontario, Canada this weekend so I'm gonna have to take a 4 or 5 day break from carving (bummer). It's nice to hear that you guys like what I've got so far. It really keeps the spirit alive :)