Show off your pumpkin pics and tells us about the experience.
By Rich D
Also my first watermelon carve. My nephew and his new wife were having their first cook-out a their new home, so I took them a melon carve.

Watermelon fireworks by esoxhnter, on Flickr

I had a couple issues, but nothing too bad. I gut it last night and glued the pattern on, but after a couple hours I put it in the fridge. Once I took it out, condensation started forming, so I had to wait until it came up to room temperature to carve. I used an X-acto and the ZP tools. I figure it would have gotten too messy to use the dremel!
By Raven
Great carve! Was your family surprised you could carve a watermelon? The first one I brought my brother in law on his birthday there were so many people amazed you can carve something other than a pumpkin. :P
Looks nice, Rich! Welcome to the world of melon carving. Hopefully my tips were somewhat helpful. And you bring up another good point. Room temperature carving is always easiest. Condensation on a chilled pumpkin or watermelon can cause hassles, with just about any type of pattern transferring method.
By Rich D
Thanks all.

Ryan gave me some good tips in my post under the "Real Pumpkin Carving Tips" section. The only thing I would add is to trace the pattern or go old school and poke it. All the juice from the melon causes the glued pattern to lift off.
By Rich D
Here are some additional carves.

This one fit well because I plan on rounding out my classic movie monsters. I still have to carve the wolfman and phantom.

Here are a couple from Stoney's site. I bumped the tripod a little, so the first pic isn't as sharp as I'd like.

This one is on one of the new Michael's pumpkins. I already had a couple hour work into it before realizing shading won't work well.

I'm going to try and lighten it up some more, but already resigned myself to redo it next year.