Show off your pumpkin pics and tells us about the experience.
Sadly I never picked up one of the carvable eggs from Michaels and now it seems they will no longer sell them. I did find some at Hobby Lobby this year. They are the Funkin brand and I really can't compare them to what Michaels used to sell since I never had any. I did not shrink the pattern if that helps with the size of the Funkin eggs.

I really wanted to use my hot knife on this since I was never a fan of carving fake 'kins till I purchased my Versa Tool. I used it first to cut the hole in the back for the light and noticed it did slightly peel the color around the cut. It wasn't much, but it was enough to make me not want to use it. I do own a Dremel but it's in my husbands hoard of tools and I would have spent too much time looking for it and trying to find the attachments. So I got out my trusty ZP carving tool and carved away.

What would a holiday be if I didn't humiliate my dog?

Happy Easter, everyone!
Last edited by Raven on Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By pagemaster1993
You did a very good job on your Easter Bunny carve.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Glad to see you get in on the egg action, Ravens. The experience sounds a bit different from the eggs I had carved from Michaels. The last egg I did was pretty thin and carved nicely with the Versa tool. These Funkin ones... maybe not so great for that tool. Still looks good to me! And Marley is clearly thrilled too. :)
By SuperSonic
Great job RD!!! Marley looks like he is having fun :P
By Raven
Thanks to Pagemaster I decided I really wanted to carve the chick pattern for Easter. This led to deciding to carve another E. Bunny for my husbands grandmother who at 84 years young just had her gallbladder removed and is slowly recovering. She loves to decorate for holiday's but with surgery I don't think she was able to do any decorating for Easter this year. So I will be bringing her the pink E. Bunny in the pic.

I carved the blue egg a few days ago with my ZP! carving tool. I knew using a knife was not the best choice but the hot knife was a no go due to the peeling color when using it and I've never attempted using a Dremel tool since I'm not into carving faux 'kins. Well, I broke the blade on my ZP tool immediately when starting to carve the pink egg. :cry: I told my husband I knew most people used a Dremel so he hooked me up with his. I don't even know if I had the right attachment, but it seemed to work. About 5 minutes later I broke his Dremel Tool. :P It wouldn't turn back on. Luckily he fixed it and I continued. Anyway, the pink egg is kinda messed up since it was my first Dremel carve. Once I got more used to it things went a little smoother. The Dremel did leave the edges really rough looking, like the paint was trying to peel up. It just looked kinda shaggy or something. I just lightly went over the top of the edges with the tool and it smoothed them out pretty good.

pagemaster1993 wrote:I have to ask which of the blades did you use from your Z.P.! Pro-carving kit? I usually use the small one for foam applications.
It was the smallest blade. I use it for everything and after a few years of use I'm surprised it never broke earlier. I'm not entirely sure where the extra blades are since they were not with all the other carving tools...
Well that latest photo is awesome. You're always good with staging a good scene for photography.

I like that you've experimented with hot knives, carving saws, and Dremels for these eggs. It's all about finding the best tool for the job, and then practicing your skill with that method.

I also think that's a sweet (and unique) gesture, to make one for your husband.s grandmother. I'm sure she'll love it.
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:
I like that you've experimented with hot knives, carving saws, and Dremels for these eggs. It's all about finding the best tool for the job, and then practicing your skill with that method.
It wasn't exactly on purpose that I tried different tools. WAY back in the day I carved some faux 'kins and used the regular little saws. I remember it not being easy, but it did the job. I never carved a fake pumpkin again though. After reading the forums here I tried a Versa Tool for the first time on a faux pumpkin a couple of years ago, also given to the same grandmother. It was so EASY. That was the main reason I bought the eggs, thinking it would be an easy carve. When the color started to peel around the cuts with the hot knife I figured I would just go back to the hard method of using my carving saw. It did work, but it left the edges really rough looking, and on the second egg I snapped the blade. These eggs are really hard to do that first poke with the saw to get it into the egg. Also, when sawing, the whole area really moved and I thought I was going to break something off. These eggs do not seem as rigid as the Michaels foam pumpkins. I tried to continue with a PM carving saw, but they were not strong enough at all. I didn't want to break anymore saw blades on my ZP carving tool, so my last option was a Dremel. I did use a flex shaft attachment but it was still kind of awkward to use.

I think Snow2alike carved some of these eggs with a hot knife and had no issue with them like I did. Maybe it was just me. I wouldn't be surprised. :P