Show off your pumpkin pics and tells us about the experience.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Since watermelon carving is a fairly new concept here on Zombie Pumpkins, I thought I'd share a few pictures of my recent carving endeavor. See, I'm not only the Zombie Pumpkins president, I'm also a client.

Image Image

Image Image

Last edited by Zombie Pumpkins! on Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Wedge
Well here is the first tiki watermelon I carved this year
This was lit with a regular candle
This is the same watermelon but let with a color changing led light. The color changing effect give the tiki a cool look.
By mesmark
Ryan, Daja and Wedge - Those are great! And the photos are excellent as well.

Last Saturday my family and I had a little post 4th of July barbeque party. Since the 4th isn't a holiday here, we had to wait. I made my 2nd watermelon of the year. My wife made a nice american flag cake for the event. Here are some pictures from that.

Image Image

The problem is there is still 3 days worth of watermelon we have to stuff down AND nobody in Japan knows who Uncle Sam is. The effect was a bit wasted but the carved watermelon was a new one for them.

I'm used to carving 3 inch thick Japanese pumpkins so I had some trouble with the small, thin watermelon. (Japanese watermelons are about the size of volleyballs.) I lost of bit off the mouth, but didn't even notice until I had lit it up.

Hopefully I'll get to do a couple tikis before the summer ends.
By Wedge
I found that punching the holes into the watermelon was just too much work. A hobby knife works great cutting through the pattern and the melon at the same time.
By 2manyferrets
I love them! What a great idea!!! Patterns are great, esp. the tiki ones! I cant wait to try them.

Erika
By Dans banana Loafcake
Dan

Hey Mesmark,

You could ask Ryan nicely and he could maybe do a Chinese Dragon or something, In fact he could do a kind of round the world melon/pumpkin pattern section. just an idea.

Alternatively you could carve them on these melons:

I hear that they're from Japan. Square melons, that'd look pretty cool carved. I can’t see why they couldn't do the same with pumpkins! The possibilities are endless!!!!

Dan
By mesmark
I'm off to find out where I can get me some of them.... :D
By Dans banana Loafcake
Cool aren't they, saw them in a magazine last week and went hunting on the web for an image to put on the forum. Apparently they grow them in cube glass jars and the cost a small fortune, like $72 or the equivalent yen. Thats like £45!!! :shock: :!: The reasoning for them is storage and stacking.

Oh and sorry about getting the china/ Japan thing mixed up with the dragon, if I offended any folks Im sorry :oops: . Still think the around the world cultures thing would be a good theme though. Could have different countries mascots and icons.

Dan
By Dans banana Loafcake
Hey,

I tried carving a tiki last night and I was pleasantly suprised with the out come. I too used one of the colour changing lights on it, The only Melon I had carved before was a self portrait (which is now my new Avatar) Which turned out ok too.

Shame that it isn't the square melons you can get in Japan. :cry:

Oh, by the whay Ryan, how are you lighting that Uncle same melon as it has a great glow but no trace of a candle? Spooky!

Dan
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Great Freaky Tiki, Dan. You did a nice job making it fit on the curve of your melon. Hope you don't mind if I add your photo to the upcoming Watermelon Carving Gallery. Excellent new avatar too.

My Uncle Sam is lit with a couple basic tealight candles. I just pushed them out towards the edges, so they wouldn't be visible in the photo.
By Dans banana Loafcake
Thanks Ryan,

Of course you can use the photos, I'd be honoured. Thanks for the compliment on the Avatar too, I'm finally getting the hang of this url thingy. Once you've got a Photobucket account sorted its not that hard really.

Oh Mesmark, have you found out anything more about the square Melons? Do they sell them near you.

Dan
By Drayco
Dans banana Loafcake wrote: Hey Mesmark,

You could ask Ryan nicely and he could maybe do a Chinese Dragon or something, In fact he could do a kind of round the world melon/pumpkin pattern section. just an idea.

Dan
Mesmark,

I have a Chinese Dragon pattern from PM that you're welcome to if you want it. Since it comes in four parts it could be used as a wrap around for all four sides of the square melons that Dan mentioned. Let me know.

Tony
By Dadja
I'm just wondering. If you were to grow your own melons. And when they're still small, you put a big square jar around them... Woudln't they grow and adjust to the shape of the jar?? Once it's big enough, you just smash the jar...

I'm gonna thry this on one of my pumpkins this year I think :P

Anyway, I just can't get over the fact that American watermelons loo kso cool! Ours are just small, and pale and kinda flat on one side, because of growing on the ground... I can't find any decent melons here!