Exploring the many uses of patterns for other craft projects.
By ghostface
I want to do some ZP! luminaries this year, but I'm not sure how to. Any help?
Last edited by ghostface on Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Kayo
resize image before you print it to fit on what ever your lighting like a brown paper lunch bag, put like a chunk of card board in the bag or if you have a cutting mat that will fit that will be ideal, than cut your design and light it up. fairly simple. good luck
By pagemaster1993
Just to add a little to Kayo's post. You could also insert a piece of thin paper to add color or to bring out the light a bit more. There are a few examples in the Beyond The Pumpkins gallery on the main site.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I agree, good tips. A cutting mat inside the bag (so you don't cut through the back) is ideal, but a piece of cardboard works. Also, it probably goes without saying but you can cut through the printed pattern and paper bag at the same time, with an x-acto blade or a comparable craft knife. Tape the pattern in place, and slice away. And I too use a piece of translucent paper on the inside, to diffuse the light and give it an overall cleaner look. LED lights, not candles, unless you enjoy watching your work go ablaze. I hope you'll show us what you come up with, ghostface.

By Kayo
yeah my only example of how to change the color was a GEL for theatre lighting but didn't know if anyone would have any idea what that was or have it lying around. use everyone else's ideas for paper it is easier and more likely to have :D
By ghostface
I will definitely post pics when I'm done.mI do have one question how do you resize the patterns?
By ghostface
Thanks so much! I got 2 done. I did Dawn of the ZP! & Root of Evil. They turned out great, I think. I'm going to pick up some LED lights at Michaels next week and I will post the pics when I get them.
By ghostface
I have 13 Luminaries done. Sorry I haven't posted pictures yet, I haven't had a chance to go get LED lights. :(
By sloaner
ghostface wrote:I have 13 Luminaries done. Sorry I haven't posted pictures yet, I haven't had a chance to go get LED lights. :(
So did you just use brown paper bags? If so how big were they, I might try a few this year. Maybe create a path for kids to follow. I would have to put something in there so the wind doesn't blow them away.
By ghostface
Yes I did use brown paper bags. The bags were fairly small but after I resized the patterns they fit perfectly! :D
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Brown paper bags are pretty common and basic looking, but I think they work well for fall luminaries, because it's a nice harvest earth tone.

It's a smart idea to weight the bags down, especially if you're going to put them outside. I've used either sand or a few rocks. Weighting them down is really important if you plan to light them with candles. If that's your plan, votive candles in glass holders are a smart move. And keep a watchful eye on them. Or safer yet... battery operated lights.
By ghostface
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:Brown paper bags are pretty common and basic looking, but I think they work well for fall luminaries, because it's a nice harvest earth tone.

It's a smart idea to weight the bags down, especially if you're going to put them outside. I've used either sand or a few rocks. Weighting them down is really important if you plan to light them with candles. If that's your plan, votive candles in glass holders are a smart move. And keep a watchful eye on them. Or safer yet... battery operated lights.
I have a few candles that have glass holders. But not enough for how many I've done so far. I think I'l have half candles, half battery powered lights.
By ghostface
Ok so far I have done 58 Luminaries. A lot of my friends think I'm out of my mind. :lol: Tomorrow I am going to buy lights and maybe some glass rimmed candles. Then hopefully I'll be able to post some pics!