Exploring the many uses of patterns for other craft projects.
By flamingnauticalstars
My mom started decorating mason jars (lrg ones) with paint and googly eyes and a few other things. They look really cool. She told me to try it out and so I went to the second hand store and bought 3 mason jars for less than $2.00 and craft paints (orange,black,grey,and white), green yarn or string, and instead of glueing eyes on it I decided to take Ryans Stencils and resizing them down to fit on the jars. I then took an exacto knife and chipped off the lightly painted stencil, after all the paint details and stenciling was done I added a layer of varnish to it. Looks pretty good.
-lrg clean mason jar
-paint all over even bottom orange(no need to paint inside)
-add 1 to 2 more orange oaint layers (let time to dry in between layers)
-rezize your zombie pumpkin stencil and cut out the stencil from the resized page (use exacto knife)
-use a light pce of tape and tape to jar where you want it placed.
-with a light coat of white paint, lightly paint over stencil.
- let paint dry.
- take exacto knife and cut along stencil then start to take off the stencil.
- add paint details to jar like pumpkin dents along top and bottom of jar. after that has dried then put a coat of varnish all over the jar so it doesn't chip.
-let dry.
- Then with some glue take the green yarn and glue the end to the top and wind it around the top of the jar and go down the jar till you hit the part where it bumps out. Cut yarn and glue end to the rest of the yarn.
your done, just add a tealight and let it sit in the window.
:D
to make all 3 mason jar pumpkins it cost me less than $15.00.

if anything I said up there doesn't make sense let me know and I'll explain better.
By reignman40
Do you happen to have any pics of them? It sounds like a killer idea. I'd love to see them.

Curtis
By Kittie
We never did get a picture of these did we.
By matspud
mesmark wrote:Yeah, I'd like to see these.

Why do you chip off the stencil? Why not just paint it black?
I imagine that you could put one of those LED tealights in and it would be quite cool. If you just painted black then you couldn't light them.

I too would like to see the pics.

Oh I think I get what you mean Mesmark ......paint the pattern in black and leave the glass. around it.