Exploring the many uses of patterns for other craft projects.
By MooBoo

Decided to do a little baking today and i thought you know whats missing from this cake? A grinning jack, so here it is. I am hoping to do something more elaborate for Halloween so this was just a practice, but he turned out well. :D
By MooBoo
Edinburghzombie wrote:Brilliant! I'll need to steal *ahem* borrow your idea for Halloween :D
Lol, borrow away, i'm afraid i can't take full credit for it, i got the idea from a sugared frankenstein version i had seen somewhere in the forum. :D
By nosferatu
Mouth wateringly brilliant 8)
By staticfurball
Looks great!! Did u use food coloring to do the stencil?
I have a cake shop and one of my favorite methods of decorating a cake is with foodcoloring and vodka, its like watercolors on cake. Dont worry its safe for the kiddies cause it evaporates lol.....and I dont mind a swig or 2 here and there ;)

Please tell me it was a pumpkin spice cake??? yummmmmm
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Great pattern choice for a cake, it fits the round shape so well. Yes, do tell us what this is made of. Any advice you can offer will help others "borrow" your idea.
By MooBoo
staticfurball wrote:Looks great!! Did u use food coloring to do the stencil?
I have a cake shop and one of my favorite methods of decorating a cake is with foodcoloring and vodka, its like watercolors on cake. Dont worry its safe for the kiddies cause it evaporates lol.....and I dont mind a swig or 2 here and there ;)

Please tell me it was a pumpkin spice cake??? yummmmmm
I'm afraid it wasn't a pumpkin spice, just a basic madeira cake, with lovely jam inside, butter cream on the outside to hold the icing to the sponge an yep i used food colouring to paint the stencil on. I think im going to experiment with other colours. I've never heard of using vodka, how do you use it? If you don't mind me asking :D
By Euri
Painted with food coloring? Not sugared? Wow, Impressive! Looks good enough to eat! Now that you've taken the picture of course. :wink:
By GUS
Nice work.
I've just been talking to a mother of a friend of Izzy's who shares a halloween interest, she's bringing her son's birthday FORWARD by a fortnight so they can have a proper scarey 6yr olds + birthday party.

Have suggested a giant eyeball cake, however if there aren't enough pumpkins already I could make up a giant pumpkin carving cake, thanks for the idea, it WAS staring me right in the face!
Last edited by GUS on Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
By staticfurball
Mooboo, you just take an ice cube tray (its what I use because its like a nice neat paint tray) and dilute some food coloring with a few drops of vodka, it makes it like watercolors. You paint it onto fondant icing(sometimes called sugar paste). It dries pretty quick and the vodka evaporates so its safe for kids. You could use lemon juice too but it will leave a bitter taste and I find vodka cleaner to work with i.e. no pulp.
Here are som cakes i have done for clients using vodka,it's my favorite medium and people like the way their cake turns out.

I am planning on doing a nice werewolf cake for halloween this year but I was thinkind a screaming hungry zombie lady would be cool too, like lunging at you type picture.
By MooBoo
staticfurball, I have only just noticed your post. Thanks for sharing i will have to give it a try. Doubt mine will come out anywhere near as good as yours, they look great. :D